Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

unidentified photos

edited July 2017 in Writing
Lets say - I wanted to use pics I had taken of architecture inside buildings but I cropped the pics so making them unidentifiable - would this be one way of not concerning myself with copyright issues. Comments most welcome.
oggie

Comments

• edited July 2017
    Honesty is the best policy. My conscience would prompt me to seek permission. If the images can't be identified why are they important? I'd endeavour to take images that don't compromise copyright.

What are you using them for? A magazine would expect you to have followed the rules.
  • Asking still applies, it's a private building even if open to the public.

If I'm going somewhere and hope to take photos of an interior I always check with the place a minimum of a week before I go, and reconfirm at the venue when I arrive, in case there is anything that shouldn't be photographed because it could cause light damage- such as a small old painting.

They may be happy to give you permission, especially if it's somewhere that might benefit from the usage.

If they don't then depending on what it's for, and if there's any cost involved, the place may have authorised images they can provide you with.
  • Thanks for your thoughts - images would be of styles of woodwork done long before the age of computers and cnc machinery. All done using saws, chisels and files and usually found in the inner corners of religious buildings where the inner roof meets the inner walls. These days would see the use of plaster or polystyrene mouldings. The interest would be in the shapes and how it was done to such accuracy and how it has lasted hundreds of years. The architects and carpenters will be long dead but the wood belongs to the church. However, it seems unlikely a person would be able to distinguish was it from his church.
    oggie

• If the Church is still in use then you should contact the Vicar/Priest and explain what you want to photograph and why. They might need to refer it up to the Diocese...

• More likely they'd be interested in the project and might allow access to areas not normally seen.
  • Dear Baggy - I just love your suggestion - that is exactly what I will do - you could be right.
    Ta.
    oggie