Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Reaching the Stars has been shortlisted...

LizLiz
edited September 2017 in Writing
...for the North Somerset Teachers' Book Awards, which is fabulous, and exciting. 4 books on the shortlist.

Comments

• Well done Liz. Good luck with it.
  • Congratulations to you and the other authors.

Fingers crossed.
  • :) I'm so pleased, as teachers are the ones who know young people.
  • How wonderful!
  • :) I'm so pleased, as teachers are the ones who know young people.
    OK, But as a retired teacher myself, may I suggest that those who write for young people should also 'know young people'!!

Best wishes for the book

Neil F.

• Brilliant - well done.
  • Congratulations.
  • LizLiz
    edited September 2017
    :) I'm so pleased, as teachers are the ones who know young people.
    OK, But as a retired teacher myself, may I suggest that those who write for young people should also 'know young people'!!

Best wishes for the book

Neil F.

Crikey - yes, of course. I meant if any group of any people to choose a book for young people to get an award, teachers are great judges in that respect and thus I feel pleased they chose ours. There aren't many children's poetry awards... in fact, there are two.

Children's poets are definitely in touch with their own inner child and in touch with modern children too... you have to be.

What makes you think they (or we) are not?
  • That's fabulous. Well done!
  • Congratulations.

Best wishes for the book

Neil F.

Best wishes for the book

Neil F.

Crikey - yes, of course. I meant if any group of any people to choose a book for young people to get an award, teachers are great judges in that respect and thus I feel pleased they chose ours. There aren't many children's poetry awards... in fact, there are two.

Children's poets are definitely in touch with their own inner child and in touch with modern children too... you have to be.

Best wishes for the book

Neil F.

• How on earth do I get rid of all these repeat comments? thanks. I merely tried to reply to liz'z comment to me. Help!
  • I think you can safely just write your reply without trying the quotes, Neil. We'll know what you're responding to.
  • Neil, you may find later in the day it's resolved itself. Don't know why but at the weekends when things are being updated these glitches seem to occur more often.
  • Thanks, Claudia. I was trying to isolate one bit of Liz's post by using the quote thing... disastrously!! But I'm sure somebody once explained that there is a way of deleting the whole post. Simply highlighting it and pressing delete doesn't work - for me anyway

Thanks, Carol. Hope you're right!!

Liz: It was only because your comment seemed to suggest 'only' teachers 'know young people' whereas writers for young people should, in my view, be equally well informed - if only to get through to them.

Interestingly, whilst as a teacher, I wrote for children within the context of the school itself (Plays, for example), I've never been drawn to writing for them outside that context. And anyway the classroom is now a distant, but not unpleasant, memory - I retired 1990. I know... Ancient!!
  • Oh, not that ancient. I was just being ... i can't find the word. Because i've had 5 glasses of Prosecco. umm... worried that you thought I didn't write well for children. This is probably indecipherable. Prosecco. Very strong stuff. Been to a wedding.
  • Me going Paris Monday... looking forward to something roughly along the lines of prosecco...hic!
  • Neil, to quote just a bit of a message you need to get it into the comment box and then delete the bits you don't want. I think what you were doing was to highlight just the bit you wanted and then clicking quote, hoping only that bit would transfer? That's perfectly logical - but doesn't work.
  • Btw, I'm reasonably succesful writing as a child for an adult market (I've sold several stories to women's magazines written from a child's POV) but totally useless at writing for children.
  • Fingers crossed for you Liz. Great to be shortlisted
  • Thank you.

I'm a tiny bit soberer now. Not used to that sort of thing in the daytime and it kept getting refilled and that is fatal. Well, not fatal, but unwise.

I have found that I tend to imagine so well what it will be like, for instance when a book is about to be published, that when it happens it doesn't seem that exciting, because I've been though it before. I am excited about this and I think it must be because i didn't expect it.
  • I should think it stands a very good chance as it's a great classroom or read alone book. Good luck.
  • Thanks, ana!
  • Many congratulations. Would be a worthy winner so fingers crossed!
  • Thank you, Lou!
  • Well done!
  • Thank you both!
  • When is the winner announced, Liz?
  • Um... I have no idea! I suspect we will here in due course from the award people.
  • Just realised I've been invited to the awards so I do know the date. 18th of November. another poet has told us it's really fun award ceremony.
  • That's my mum's birthday!
  • Liz, do you have to RSVP by a certain date?
  • Yes. I have rsvp'd. I am hoping to go, but I am also singing in our choir's 10th anniversary concert that night. They wrote to us all to ask if we could be there, but Jan and Michaela can't, sadly, so i guess i will have to.
  • Congratulations.

Have you decided whether to go or not yet?
  • Yes. My choir leader has given me permission to miss the warm up. So I'll go, then make the dash to Bath. Really, my loyalty is to my friends in the choir. i love them.