Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Amazon to buy Waterstones?

LizLiz
edited October 2017 in Writing
It would be a nightmare indeed, hope it isn't true.

http://kenilworthbooks.co.uk/the-marriage-of-heaven-and-hell/

Comments

• And then what's left other than indies?

Would the loss of Waterstone's adversely affect WH Smith pricing?
  • I hope this isn't true!
  • It is true, sadly.

It really is a Halloween nightmare for authors.
  • edited October 2017
    Liz, where did you hear that it was true?

All I've seen so far is speculation.
  • Ditto.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-5029461/Bookshop-chain-Waterstones-sale.html

Mind you, it would make sense to buy a chain rather than continue opening their own stores. Also, as many indie authors use Amazon-related tools it might make it easier for those authors to get through the doors.

• It is true, sadly.

It really is a Halloween nightmare for authors.
    I can't find anything confirming that this is true. Do you have some insider knowledge, Liz?
  • No, what I mean is that Waterstones is to be sold, I don't know who to, but Amazon is what the bet's on - they have doe the same in the US and their book stores are awful.
  • From my link:

Bookshop chain Waterstones could be put up for sale by its Russian oligarch owner.

Could.
  • Ah. the thing I read on my friend's FB said it was. So, in fact, there is nothing happening at all...

But a little alarmed to find out it's a Russian Oligarch who owns it now...
  • ...and has done so for several years without causing a ripple on the TB radar.

• Lol. Our Waterstone's has been getting steadily better under the oligarch. Maybe he is hands off. We have a cafe which is brilliant, lots of cake I can actually eat. Loads of tables dotted around very like Borders used to be.