Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

BBC National SSA 2018

edited February 2018 in Writing
The online entry form won't accept my details. I've tried several times. Fourteen days ago I sent an S.A.E. requesting a postal entry form. No reply. Please advise.

Comments

• There is an email address for queries [email protected].

I would try to find out why the online form isn't working if possible - otherwise you have to send in eight copies of the story!!
  • edited February 2018
    Hello Heather, thanks for the comment. I tried emailing a query regarding the website a few days ago and received an auto-reply which ended with a plea for patience. Maybe that's the secret. Oddly, though the website entry form outlines my word count in red and a message states: wrong word count! Yours, sincerely, baffled.
  • It sounds as though you have exceeded the word count. Try removing a few words from your story. Sometimes there is a discrepancy between how your system and theirs get a total.
  • edited February 2018
    Hyphenated words can be counted as two or sometimes as one.

They also seem to have included the title in the word count, as the rules don't say it's excluded.
  • Also contractions may count differently in different word counters.
  • An ellipsis versus three full stops will affect some counters.
  • edited February 2018
    Thanks for the suggestions. The word limit is 8,000 and my story's
    5,121 though so I don't think that's a problem. While filling in that part of the form I re-opened my story to check the number. Perhaps that what I did wrong.
  • It might have pasted twice then.
  • Phew! 'twas the comma's fault. Another phone call to the BBC and I had the answer. The Word Count box doesn't accept commas. So having zapped it I submmited the entry form. Hopefully, my story for the NSSA is now with the judges.
  • Good luck!
  • Phew! 'twas the comma's fault. Another phone call to the BBC and I had the answer.
    Seriously? So much for automation!

p.s. good luck with your entry