Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Authors fight free books site Scribd for ‘pirating’ their work

edited March 2009 in - Reading
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article5998918.ece

Comments

• A quote at the bottom was sad:

" Last summer the American author Stephanie Meyer said she would not continue with her latest novel in the Twilight series after an unfinished draft of the book, Midnight Sun, was leaked on to the internet. She said the project was on hold indefinitely "

I can imagine her pain. The project is mid way through development, then woosh it is out there with no chance to fine tune or move stuff around. Soul destroying! I'd be livid!
  • I'd be furious if my work was put there like that. Thanks for that, Carol. Id make sure to check the site every day after my books are published. (No i haven't got a publishing deal, still it's the principle.) It's stealing outright...they should pay the PLR rate the same way libraries do if people are reading online as they are essentially borrowing the book, and pay royalties for every book downloaded.
  • Perhaps authors should band together and present Scribd, their readers, and their advertisers with a claim for the unauthorised copying of books. Or we could threaten not to publish anything until the matter is satisfactorily resolved.
  • edited March 2009
    Well, i just ran a couple of popular authors through the search engine...i have just been able to access the full novels by Rick Riordan (Percy Jackson series), full novels by Tamora Pierce, Laurell K Hamilton, Kelley Armstrong, Stephen King. I idly ran Gordon Brown through its search engine and its first hit was Gordon Brown: an intellectual in power. That really made me laugh.
  • I think you'll find that's just the tip of the iceberg. There are numourous sites out there where you can pickup free PDF copies of relatively new novels. I'm astonished that it's not been mentioned much before now. If the publishers think that by stopping just one site they've resolved the problem, they have another thing coming.

It's one thing having PD works on sites such as Gutenberg, another thing entirely to have new books available all over the place for free.
  • Brief follow up here, but do read the comments by Susan Hill- they sum up the difficulties.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/81316-page.html#Comment
  • edited March 2009
    She's spot on, as she usually is on things such as this.

It's quite un-nerving when you read the sort of comments that she comes up against.
  • So many people don't realise how little writers do get from book sales.

They hear about these million pound contacts that top authors get and assume all writers get large fees. They don't understand that the money is spaced out over a number of books, and assume it is up front- and celebrity bios have a lot to do with that.
    Not enough publicity is given to the figures about how many writers earn less than the national average wage.
  • http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article6316434.ece
  • I'm on scribD and upload my own work, extracts from books, blogs, essays etc. Only my own work of course, as a way of getting it out there. You have to agree that what you upload is your own copyright, like with youtube. but then there are always going to be those who abuse that.