Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Has Anyone?

edited April 2009 in - Reading
Ever tried blending a first person voice with a omniscient narrator?

I'm writing an essay on first and third person in Dubliners, and my tutor said it can be used to escaped that 'locked' effect of first person. I've been having this problem with my book and it was something I would never have considered.

Thoughts?

Comments

• All the best with the essay.
  • I've experimented with the use of 1st and limited 3rd. I've never used omniscient period, but I do find that it escapes the locked effect of first person, and as the other characters are 3rd person, it still keeps the focus on the protagonist.
  • Thanks forget-me-not. I've been struggling with a character and feel I'm just repeating myself and he's starting to sound whiny. It never even occured to me to use a third person/omniscient narrator.

Good to be getting some value out of my tuition fees!
  • I've experimented too but only with 1st and 3rd.

When I was studying English (I'm going back ver 20 years ago) I was taught by a strict English master who was also an examiner. What he taught then was virtually set in stone, and the subject itself became rather rigid, but you dared not deviate from the accepted norm otherwise you would be in deep do-do. So things stick in your mind, the idiosyncrasies of your teachers remain with you, and I took these rigid rules into my adulthood. But then I realised when I started writing that you don't neccessarily have to follow the rules. You have to experiment. That's the whole point of the word novel, so writers should find new ways of writing. At least your tutor is flexible, Stirling, by getting you to do this. It's a good writing excercise.
  • Yeah, I've had a similar problem, one of my main characters is sounding the same (see falling out with your characters thread)
  • I did a story years ago that started as third person and as the character reads old diary entries (first person) then goes back to third person.
    It worked well, but it can be hard work.
  • Interesting thought - I'm writing first person present at the moment and although I think it's working well up to this point, about 25,000 words in, not sure if I can maintain the momentum.
  • 25,000 words is an achievement. Keep going!
  • Thanks Stan :)
  • Hi Stirling.

I’ve wrestled with this in my writing. I like to use the first person interspersed with third person narrative. The book I’m writing is character driven by the first person diary entries of the main character. These are complemented by third person narratives each carrying the strong ‘voice’ of the POV character. I would find an omniscient narrator too far removed even when blended with a first person voice. I think it would water down character development in the third person narrative.

On the other hand, there is a danger. In her professional critique of my book on YWO, Melissa Weatherall stressed the importance of how the first person narration is central to the story hanging together and how you have to be careful that the story doesn’t become episodic by having too many POVs. (I’m pleased to say she thought I would be OK!)

I hope this helps and that you’re enjoying your university course.

Howard
  • And what a great read Howard's book is too.
  • Hallo again Howard! How are you?
  • I think a lot. of Amercan writers use this technique. I know that James Patterson does it often.
  • Thanks everyone. I think I may use third rather than omniscient.
  • What is Howard's book about, Jenny?
  • Hi Jenny. I'm fine thanks and living life to the full (as usual!)

Thanks for the kind comment Tracy.

Caro, this is the link if you want to have a look:
    http://www.youwriteon.com/books/bookdetail.aspx?bookguid=1b3b82c1-2722-4e2c-bac6-b8897c5fd702
  • Thanks, Howard.