Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Further Proof David Starkey Is A Poor Historian

edited April 2009 in - Reading
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1173197/Kicked-sporran-Outcry-historian-David-Starkeys-TV-tirade-Scots.html

. . . with a poor grasp on Scottish and English History! Reading some of the comments I don't rate the history being taught in schools either!

Comments

• ouch!!!

I do love the fact that the Scots and the Welsh got their own back against Edward Longshanks... the Tudors came from Wales and the Stuarts were Scottish!!! :D unfortunately I don't know enough about Ireland except that I do love their music. I love the irish bagpipes and flute. I also love the scottish bagpipes- my sister had a friend play the bagpipes for her wedding!
  • What a silly little man.
  • :D

i wrote a comment but it hasn't come up yet
  • This isn't "further proof that David Starkey is a poor historian", it's proof that he knows how to court controversy and publicity - so what and who cares? It makes great Daily Mail fodder but most of the rest of us are more interested in news!
  • Starkey is a poor Historian Patrick (and a joke in academic circles) because he makes comments that ignores Scotland's power and importance in the world. He ignores the fact Henry faced a high risk threat from Scotland (even trying to force a royal marriage); Henry's claim came from king-murder; no concept of Scottish Literature; and the importance of Scottish soldiers in British Empire building. He ignores any historical truths that don't fit his opinion.

A very poor Historian indeed.
  • Sorry, Stirling, I'm with Patrick on this one. The article says nothing at all about Starkey's abilities as a historian, and lots about what an unpleasant, offensive and opinionated man he is. As Patrick says, great stuff for the Daily Mail to bust a gut about, but that's about all. Getting in a lather about his pronouncements merely gives him the type of reaction he feeds on.
  • Henry is loving Richt's description of DS. It is the way he thinks of him, too.
  • I have to say, Dorothy, that, although I freely admit to being something of a misanthropist, there are few individual people that I actually dislike. David Starkey is one of the few.
  • And that is where I agree with you, Richt. The man is arrogant in the extreme and will hate Henry's book as it will demolish much that he has preached about endlessly, which in turn will make him look foolish. Henry's ambition is to speak to him face to face - not sure if it will ever come about but if he has anything to do with it, it will. That will be an interesting argument, Henry using me to argue with someone we both dislike ...

Actually, I give DS the accolade of being THE person who made me determined to succeed with the books. In his series 'Monarchy' he dismissed the duke of York (all right, time was limited but he did not have to do this) with three words. York Was Killed. You know how he speaks in capital letters. Richard duke of York was Lord Protector of England, next in line to the throne after Henry VI, owner of half of England, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, where he had been a great success - he was a devoted husband and father, too. One mistake at Wakefield and he is dismissed in 3 words. I knew then that the books HAD to go out, as there are REAL PEOPLE behind the statistics and cold statements, real living people. I know, I have spoken with a good many of them and still do. Historians, especially ones like that, (who slandered Richard III something appalling in one of the Sunday supplements at the time of the series) do the people the disfavour of remembering that. In this outburst he is forgetting that the 'little countries' happen to be full of people. Just as he forgets history is made up of people.
  • Starkey reminds me of Mr Samgrass in Brideshead Revisited. A creepy little hanger-on sucking up to the Establishment. It seems to have gotten him far! ;)
  • I always feel miffed that we never got to learn that much history in school. It makes me feel ignorant of my heritage, of the British heritage. Rarely do i find documentaries that cater to this interest in a full way, or else i just take issue with the presenters such as Tony Robinson who for some reason makes me want to throw washing up liquid at him, even despite his good role in Discworld's Hogfather. And i dislike historians who walk like peacocks. WALK LIKE HUMAN BEINGS DAMMIT!
  • Still disagree, by sidelining Scotland he is sidelining a nation's history. His history is not good history!
  • [quote=Tessadragon]Tony Robinson who for some reason makes me want to throw washing up liquid at him, [/quote]

me too. [why washing up liquid? :-)]

There is too much breathless against the clock game show/reality show about that programme. It could be good but the format spoils it for me.
  • Time Team is more about the archaeology than history isn't it though?

I think my real irritation with Starkey is that he never talks about what other historians think.
  • Ah but Tony's done the history programmes too, like the 'Worst Jobs in History'.
  • edited April 2009
    i like Tony Robinson's view of history. It's interesting... he makes you want to learn more. Worst jobs in history was fun to watch... anyone remember his series called Blood and Honey? brilliant retelling of the Old Testament stories...
    he also wrote a book with Mick Aston called Archaeology is Rubbish... really good book...
  • Tony Robinson has his good moments- the Worst Jobs was one of them.
    When I was doing A level history I always tried to read beyond the limitations of what we were being taught about, and it was often more interesting to read about the views of others at the time, and since.

Scotland played a major part in history at various times, and it certainly can't be sidelined as unimportant.
  • No, can't stand Tony Robinson, he's another one, too full of himself. The programme on Helen Duncan made me mad and as I was in someone else's house at the time I couldn't throw things at him.
  • I liked him in Black Adder.
  • Trouble is, I hated Blackadder as I seriously dislike Rowan Atkinson ... so Tony Robinson got included then and his over chatty style now gets in the way of what he is trying to get across. It annoys me.
  • I used to like Michael Wood's delivery. (Makes him sound like a bowler, doesn't it?)