Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Reading Classics Online

edited May 2009 in - Reading
Okay, I have a massive reading list for September and the majority are classics: Adam Bede, Bleak House, Tess of the D'urbervilles, Gulliver's Travels. I can't afford the books right now, so I thought I might be able to read them online first and get the books when the student loan comes through.

Any experience of this?

Comments

• I've never had a problem with it but some have a problem with the faint flicker from the screen and the glare. I've read that there are free apps online that can help with this but I've never looked into it because I use my Sony Reader.
  • I have several reference booka and biblical study books on CDs which I read on-screen. I can enlarge the font size for easier reading and set the pages as continious. If I want to include a quote in an article or sermon I can cut and paste - saves a lot of retyping.
  • I've read online but have had no problems. Some sites are quite good, but they offer pretty much the same. My laptop has built in filter if the screens are a bit squiff
  • I wish I could afford a Sony Reader!

I found Bleak House and have read the first chapter, which wasn't too bad (the thick paragraphs of setting were though!)
  • I was looking in a catologue at Sony Readers loaded with 100s of classics. I wish I could afford one too!
  • How many books are on that list? Do you have to read all of them?
  • You read what you want to read and in any order that you choose.
  • Not sure how many, I will have to check the reading list; but yes I need to read them all.
  • Stirling, check dailylit.com for some of those books, as it lists many classics to read for free.
  • Hi Stirling - why don't you go to the library? Would they have the classic novels? I'm not sure.