Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writers News - To resubscribe or Not to resubscribe, that is the question...

Comments

• Yes.
    Had my first set of questions last week.
  • I was going to, but decided against it.
  • I tend to pick up WM in WH Smiths if I like the look of the issue but I don't know much about WN. What does it normally feature?
  • WN contains the real news, who wants what, as in magazines, competitions, publishers. It has news flashes, couple of articles, more letters, Members News, a whole variety of things.
  • Interesting to see this thread...
    I let my susbscription lapse last year because I now flit about too much and don't have the same address for more than six months at a time.
    When I was in England last week I automatically grabbed a copy of WM. It felt distinctly thin and then I looked at the price. Perhaps it's because I'm not used to UK prices, but I was shocked to see it marked up at £3.60. I then had a flick through and saw the editor has changed (again) and I have to say I was unimpressed with the content. I put it back on the shelf.
    I used to like WN, but found it largely irrelevant to me in Fiji. I also found a lot of the competition information thoroughly annoying because of the time limits; I frequently received my magazines after competition closing dates.

I bought a copy of Writers' Forum out of curiosity; I shan't subscribe, and the magazine of short stories - name eludes me right now. I've only read a couple of the stories, but quite like it so far.
  • The price is about normal for a lot of magazines now Claudia.
  • I've kept up my subscription out of habit more than anything. I have this annual ritual which involves my phoning to say I haven't received an issue (sometime in the autumn). The answer is always that my credit card details must be wrong. I give them the same card number all over again and hey presto, a late copy arrives about ten days later. I won't do it again. I glance at the mags now and then, enter a comp about once a year and find little of interest. (I also have a bit of a dislike of someone who contributes to WM which makes me wonder why I pay to get irritated.) I know that I've moved on but I still think the quality has dropped and they've both lost something of their identity by trying too hard to be all things to all writers.
  • I automatically subscribe and am quite happy with both magazines but it is taking me longer and longer to get around to reading them. After the comments here, I began reading WM with a different perspective and noticed within a couple of pages at least two typing errors, something I've noticed before but the main thing was the lack of substance in some of the articles. Adrian Magson who generally I enjoy reading must have run out of ideas as his article featured as much white space as words. I think I'll monitor how useful both magazines are and then reconsider. I could buy quite a few 'How to' books with the subscription money -or even better a few bottles of vino
  • Your mention of Adrian Magson reminded me that I met him in my local Waterstone about six months ago. He was promoting his latest book. I told him that I was trying to break into the womag market which he said he had had some success in and encouraged me to keep writing and subbing and I would be rewarded - a mnth later I sold my first story:)

I subscribe to both the WN adn WM, it's a present from my mum each year because she always encourages me in everything I do although I'm nearly of pension age. I prefer WN although being a junior writer meanign not many years under my belt I find the mag helps me a lot.
  • How sweet of your mum and great that she encourages you in everything. My mother was a bit the other way - don't take a risk unless you have to. It's taken me years to shake that off, though she meant well.

I've read some very good and encouraging articles by Adrian M, it's just this month's that seems so lacking.
  • Maybe he was having an off day SusieM? :)

I wonder if we should do some research. Who subscribes to other mags and if so which ones? How are they different, better worse than WM or WN? Why would you subscirbe to another mag rather than WM WN?

What would you rather not see in WM or WN (and why not) and what do you think would make you buy it in future?

I may stop subscribing soon, simply because of financial probs. Not much coming in, too much going out.
  • I think we can say WN is an essential.
    WM is probably the one that needs a further revamp.
    You can see how some of the regulars have updated in their own way. But I do think there is sometimes a lack of variety.
  • Howard exactly the same thing happens to me... I have automatic re-subscribing but they always say they can't get my card details to work. So this year I didn't bother phoning...
  • edited May 2009
    ...and they haven't bothered phone you LizB?

Nice to be missed isn't it?. :)

If I need to cancel my direct debit to the magazine, but want to continue subscribing to the News, what do I do?
  • edited May 2009
    Just ring subscriptions and tell them you want to just receive WN so they need to change your D/D mandate.
  • Well I have just had the production date for a radio play and I did find out about the production company through WN so I am guessing that really..... I should resubscribe...
  • Have you told WN about the success of your play?
  • No, it's been in the "production pipeline" for a number of months now and I'm one of those people that won't say anything in case it doesn't work out... If you see what I mean. But soon as casting is finished and the director contacts me and says, it's in the can, then I will contact them.
  • I have automatic resubscribing, but not had the problems that LizB's had. Hope you manage to sort them out.

:)
  • I've been getting WN/WM for donkeys years, possilby since they started. Did they start around 20/25 years ago? I'm a creature of habit really and the automatic payment thingy has never been a problem for me. I always find something interesting to read and I found them especially helpful/informative when I was starting out. The other writing related magazines I get are the one from the Society of Authors and SCBWI.
  • edited May 2009
    Daisy - It's certainly been going more than 18 years because the tutor at my WEA first writing class in 1991 recommended it.
  • edited May 2009
    I remember I took one on a long haul flight to Canada in 1997. But I think I have a copy from 1995 somewhere.
  • I can remember reading a copy back in '95...
  • Any advance on 1995 ... ?
  • no. Making me feel old ...
  • Those first copies might be worth a fair amount now - but only if they're in mint condition!
  • edited May 2009
    I found it. January 1995.

It says Vol 4 No 1. So there were three volumes before that? That copy says it was £1.80 monthly.
  • How much is it now?
  • edited May 2009
    £3.60. I wouldn't know if thats expensive or not though.
  • Average in my opinion.
  • I must be the saddest of the sad, holding onto a mag from 1995. I had thought randompageitis was bad enough but this? There is no hope for me, methinks.

Has anybody got any clothes older than that? Go on, make me feel I'm not as sad as you.
  • Not any longer, but I did at one time- things from the 80's.
  • I've got a pair of shoes older than that, Dora. But I would argue that it does not make me sad because I don't actually wear them anymore!!
  • Oh, I have clothes older than that. I have always washed my clothes at 30 degrees in something gentle and they never wear out. Or fade. Particularly sock s... Next socks used to be really good. Now they aren't, and most have fungicide/bacteriacide in (who on earth wants any sort of poison on their skin? cant fathom it, why not just wash your feet and change your socks? But manufacturers have decided it's what we want, so we all get it). I still have stuf I was weraing when my kids were born (21 and 16...)!
  • I'm afraid I'm a size bigger than I was at that age. ;)
  • Only ONE size bigger Carol? Clever you.

Okay Randomguy ... have you finally decided?
  • Yes I have and I am also one size bigger and I have decided this must stop before I become two sizes bigger.
  • One size bigger than what?

Since I changed my diet from a diabetic carb based one I have lost weight. Less insulin = less food = less weight.

But surely your feet haven't changed size Carol?

I don't like throwing out old clothes - I'm the same as my son who thinks they'll feel rejected. If I've loved them a lot they go to a half way house under the bed. Until I forget how close I was to them. Then eventually, I can let them go.
  • That's pretty much how I felt about my writers news subscription...
  • (No Liz my feet are still the same size...:))
    My husband complains I never throw stuff out. And yes when we do, two weeks later you need something you've recently got rid off...
  • throwing stuff out ... Saturday the Duke suggested we get ALL the clothes out, as in all. Summer clothes (from under the bed) and wardrobe stuff. I put all the skirts in daughter's room, all the jackets on the floor (I looooove jackets) all the rest on my bed and then put them back one at a time, apart from things heading for the pile by the door which he said Had To Go. So they did. Now the entire wardrobe, summer and winter, is in the wardrobe and there is space under the bed. The duke is sooooooooooooooooo keen on my clearing out and yet ... we went up town and found two blouses in charity shops I Had To Have! Admit they were nicer than what I threw out, though! He hasn't touched my shoe collection ... more than his (spirit) life's worth!
  • Hmm, do you think Dora is talking in code? ;)
  • ??????

ever

"from me to you"

THAT

eye

venison