Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Redundancy

edited May 2009 in - Reading
Not me (not quite). What happened was in March my sister took voluntary redundancy and quickly found another job with me. However now she is finding herself on edge, worrying about it possibly happening again.

It's highly unlikely; I know the manager would make others redundant before us (who do sweet FA.)

Has anyone experience of this?

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Redundancy is terrible! Hope you're both okay. I was made redundant on my birthday last november and am still struggling to find a job. Doesn't really matter though as I still live at home and am in full time education.

My dad however has been made redundant loads. First time on his 30th birthday, part of the reason he hates birthdays (that and fear of growing old - men! :rolleyes: ). He's lucky that he always found a job quickly- doesn't stop him complaining about the jobs though :rolleyes:
  • I've been made redundant twice. Not at all nice.
  • It's worrying of course.
    But she shouldn't let her worries take control.
  • I dunno about my dad. I think his job was made redundant, but he wasn't oh I dunno, it's all confusing to me, the amount of stuff that goes on at dad's work. I stuggle to keep up. Maybe because I only partically listen.
  • We're getting there - I think the worst is over. I was at an interview last week for a second job in bar so fingers crossed I get a call tomorrow! She has taken a wage drop (£150 a month); but I'm trying to encourage her to go for jobs that were of the salary she is used to. That's the problem, you get used to living at a certain wage . . .

I try to think, well at least we have jobs. Some people are made redundant and aren't as lucky as us.

I wonder about the students who rely on their parents. How will they cope if they are made redundant and can't subsidize their kids anymore. I'm quite happy to live on my student loan and work 20-25 hours (sounds insane, but I've been working full time since the redundancy and my grades actually shot up. Go figure!)
  • Redundancy is hard. I went through it in the early 90's. Just left college. Got a job in the jewellery industry, made redundant, then two more after that. Same story - last in, first out. Not a good time for such frivolous things as jewellery, not a good time for much at all. But things work themselves out in the end, it's a struggle but for every bust there will be a resurgence, it's just the not knowing when that's the killer.
    Let's hope that for all those who are struggling at the moment that good times will return soon.
  • Redundancy is horrible, but remind your sister that she survived it once and if it did happen again then she'd survive it again.
    No-one has any guarantess, especially at the moment, but MOST people won't be made redundant, so we all have to try to take a deep breath and put it out of our minds as there's nothing we can do about it. Good luck to you both.
  • I've been made redundant twice, and after a few scary moments, always ended up alright in the end. It probably doesn't seem like it at the moment, but it's a good opportunity to revise the old life plan!
  • I agree. It's happened to me a couple of times and it was the best thing that happened to me.