Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

"Choose what you read" campaign

edited May 2009 in - Reading
http://www.choosewhatyouread.com/

Just read about this in the Big Issue. The organisers give away free books on the underground so that people don't read the free papers which "scare, sedate and depress with page after page of stabbings and drunken celebrities".

The next handout is on 1st June.

Comments

• Its a good idea. Are the free papers really that bad, though?
  • How would they choose 'happy' books, though?
  • just as long as they don't give them books on these subjects too...
  • And the whole point of a paper is that you can read an article or two on a bus/train/tube ride. Many people may just prefer this, instead they could make their own paper that tells things as it is, without these exaggerated scare stories.
  • Years ago someone brought out a paper that only contained good news. I don't think it had a very wide circulation - proving ... ?
  • well thats a bit extreme though, I mean one that doesn't glorify criminals and intentionally try to scare the public with thoughts of doom. (perhaps I'm being a bit extreme now!)
  • Do you think some of the scare stories are intended to distract us from high-level scandals?