Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

British science fiction writer Alastair Reynolds signs 10 book deal

edited June 2009 in - Reading
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5609631/British-science-fiction-writer-Alastair-Reynolds-signs-1m-book-deal.html

Comments

• Blimey
  • Well done that man!

I was going to say lucky, but I suspect that luck had nothing to do with it.
  • Amazing! I'd be absolutely terrified if I was him. (I've got a mere three articles to write for an editor and that's scary enough for me.)
  • I must say that I've never heard of him, but he must be over the moon! I must look out for his books!
  • Well if he is 'over the moon' I hope he's taking notes, he might need them with 10 science fiction books to write.
  • Goodness - £1 million! Does that mean that's how much the deal is worth overall, or that's how much he actually gets?
  • It's be a 1million advance with a 10 book deal. So he'll get the mill upfront and then once his books have recouped that 1million he will start getting his royalties. So if he's fortunate and his sales are healthy and by book three he has sold enough to cover the million then he will gain royalties from there on in on all sales, past books and right up to book ten when a new deal will be struck, if both parties so wish.
  • Brilliant! Good for him.
  • I'm in awe...
  • Actually, the one million is paid out in 3 installments. I'll try and remember: a third on delivery of manuscript; a third on completion (?); and a third after publication. I'll assume he has an agent so the agent gets their 15% slice - so that is £150,000 to be deducted.