Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Neil Gaiman in Edinburgh

edited June 2009 in - Reading
For those interested, Neil Gaiman will be in Edinburgh during the festival doing various things. (Such as chatting with Ian Rankin)

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/

Comments

• Lucky Edinburgh.
  • Lucky Stirling (I'm might try and get tickets for the book signing.)

Ta.
  • I'm going to Edinburgh quite soon, but who is Neil Gaiman. I've never heard of him.
  • He's a very popular writer, caro. I mentioned him over on the JK thread.
  • He wrote Stardust.

Love American Gods and Neverwhere (that was adapted for TV.) Mirrormask was just damn weird - still trying to work that one out!
  • I suppose it was terribly profound and all your academic opinion leaders loved it! that's why you like it, isn't it?
  • I've never read Gaiman at University; it was Neph who recommended him. Like I said; tone it down.
  • Neil Gaiman is just a good writer, caro. Nothing academic about him. As well as novels he's written heaps of comic books. He's just a good, solid, imaginative (very) writer.

He's also a damn fine chap as well. (So I'm told).
  • Never read any of his stuff though seen the two kids films which were good. Stirling going back to your comment about Neverwhere I think it may be wrong. The funny thing is I was researching subterranean London about an hour ago and came across this TV series. Apparently he hated the look of the show so dramatised it into the novel, not the other way around. Crazy thing is the whole idea was sparked by Lenny Henry who wanted him to write about tribes of homeless people living under the city. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Also it seems to be a bit hot in here has somebody been lighting fuses?
  • It wasn't me!

I just vaguely remember Neverwhere; I was at school when it was on TV. I really have to buy the DVD.
  • I kind of recollect it looking at the stills, though the synopsis didn't ring too many alarm clocks with me. Sounds like a good idea though.
  • edited June 2009
    Neverwhere was an adaptation of his book, just not a very good one. I lurve Neil!
  • Tony's right, it was the other way round. Gaiman talked about it on his blog. He developed the TV script with Lenny Henry but then became frustrated with the TV restrictions so wrote his novel to expand on the script. With the delays inherent in TV production, the book came out around the same time.

Wikipedia mentions it in brief terms but Gaiman's blog is the best resource for info on it.
  • edited June 2009
    I'd thought i had read it on there that the book was written, then he did the script, must have misread. Not actually seen the TV series.

Would love to be able to go to Edinburgh.
  • Here's the bit on his site.

http://www.neilgaiman.com/works/Films/Neverwhere/

The TV series was good, though when I saw it again a couple of years back, not quite as good as I remember. He also did a comic book adaptation which he took from the novel rather the TV script.
  • Ta muchly Richard.
  • I've seen the DVD in HMV.

If you are coming up to Edinburgh Caro; why don't we meet up for a coffee?