Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

New Breed of Detective Fiction?

edited July 2009 in - Reading
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1197187/Dear-Garry-Ive-decided-end-The-stop-trapped-killer.html

I've heard of forensic linguistics before from my lecturers. Interesting twist that the internet is littered with our linguistic 'fingerprint.'

I've always thought this would be too hard; that you would need an indepth knowledge of linguistics. I may just have a go though.

Comments

• :D

That is fascinating!
  • Interesting.

However, it's only an extension of what any office manager already knows. I could pick up a letter from a 'pool' and know who'd typed it.
  • edited July 2009
    It's a fascinating concept, but I can't look at this dispassionately. Too many murderers are allowed to keep breathing after committing the most horrible crimes.
  • I remember hearing about something like that before, but by looking at an uncommon mispelt word in a chat room they managed to catch him. I just looked for a link but couldn't find it, I don't remember it well enough. It was on this BBC tv series called psycho, each episode was a true story.
  • Will read the article later when I have time.

But I do know that you can learn to recognise people from their writing. Many of our older club members when judging competitions can recognise who is likely to have written individual pieces. I know a few by their writing, it is almost as if I can hear them reading the piece aloud.

But any tool that helps...
  • I wonder how long before they create software to search the internet?