Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Google Books or Great Books?

edited July 2009 in - Reading
A learned - and long - article about books.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/the_tls/article6714491.ece

A gold star if you read the whole article; and a place on Brain of Britain if you know the meaning of all the words.

Comments

• I'd better give this a miss!
  • I'll leave it to later then...;)
  • think I'll give it a miss too, Stan
  • Oof - well I read the first paragraph and stopped! It should be labled 'how not to write a reader-friendly article'.
    p.s. so did you read the whole thing, Jay??
  • I totally agree that the electronic word being more accessible to the masses does kill off the aspects that were better controlled on paper, such as spelling. I never thought about the effect of the thesaurus...although it expands a person's display of words, it doesn't demonstrate a depth to learning. I also agree that Google is an uncontrolled explosion of knowledge, difficult to ensure the accuracy of and thus possibly encouraging further errors that people may forever be blind to.
    I'm not sure I agree though that google's illumination of texts that would have gone unmissed, is making people step on to seeing the real works on paper. For that to occur, people would have to care about books...and frankly not many do any more. They want the shortcuts, not the scenic route.
  • I got to 'vitiate', thought "This is hard going", looked to see how much more there was - and stopped reading. Maybe I'll go back to it.