Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Frank McCourt, Author of 'Angela's Ashes,' Dies at 78

edited July 2009 in - Reading
Just announced by the New York Times;

Frank McCourt, a former New York City schoolteacher who
turned his miserable childhood in Limerick, Ireland, into a
phenomenally popular, Pulitzer Prize-winning memoir,
"Angela's Ashes," died on Sunday, his publisher said.

Comments

• That's sad. I haven't actually read any of his four published books but did see the film of his first, "Angela's Ashes". Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Richard.
  • I was surprised when I saw this mentioned this morning as I saw it mentioned somewhere else over the weekend, but then no where else.
    Very sad.
  • http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article6720048.ece
  • The previous post on here was late last week, Carol, and it announced that he was ill, not that he had died.
  • No I'm certain I saw a brief mention of his death late Saturday night- think it may have been on the BBC text service. I expected it to be in the Sunday papers but it wasn't there.
  • Well he died on Sunday so maybe the Beeb were getting a bit premature.
  • Possibly. :)
  • The BBC doing that reminds me a bit ofthe Monty Python scene in The Holy Grail. Where the bloke is doing the rounds collecting the dead and the feller is trying to get him to take an elderly relative whose not quite dead.