Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Very funny book to read to a child - Andy Stanton's Mr Gum series

edited July 2009 in - Reading
Just thought I'd tell you, we had a real laugh with Mr Gum and the Power Crystals last night. My eleven year old was rolling on the floor laughing his head off, and my nine year old was in bed chuckling his heart out.

If you have children of this age, I'd recommend Mr Gum and Power Crystals. I think you do have to get into character though. I used that west country dialogue Matt Lucas' uses in Little Britain, and it was great fun.

Anybody else read these books?

Comments

• No, but they sound good - I'll look out for them. There are quite a few in the series, I think.
  • I heard about them recently. It's always good to hear about good books.
  • They sound hilarious, dora. With the accent, even more so!
  • My son loves the Mr Gum books, dora. He's 7 and we started reading them when he was 5 or 6. The fave is Mr Gum and the Biscuit Billionaire, which introduces a little gingerbread man with electric muscles whose name is Alan Taylor.

This is the intro to the book - one of the best opening paragraphs of any book ever:

"It all started late one afternoon in the peaceful little town of Lamonic Bibber. Summer was almost at an end, and the day stretched out long and lazy like a huge glossy panther made of time. The birds chirped in the trees, the rabbits chirped in their burrows, and a fox walked along the railway tracks whistling 'Greensleeves' and thinking fondly of a vixen he had once loved."

Genius.
  • Oh, and I get into character, too, but my Mr Gum is fiercely Glaswegian. :)
  • :)

I like that intro Barry.

Yes some children in my seven year old's class likes them too.
  • A friend on my course recommended them to me and I bought one and didn't read it... must so that now!!
  • Sounds good! Dora, did the 11 yr old find his head after it rolled off? And did the chuckling child find his heart?!
  • Who is the author of the Gum books?
  • I think there may be a clue in the title of this thread Stan. Andy Stanton.

LizB, I had bought another one for my nine year old, after he'd brought one home from school and enjoyed it, but I found that one dificult to get into. Having read this one though, I think I may try again.
  • Andy Stanton of course! I shoud have gone to specsavers. ;)
  • I've looked up the Mr Gum series on Amazon - they certainly sound very funny.