Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What Hooks You Into A Book?

edited July 2009 in - Reading
I started reading The Return of The Dancing Master (Henning Mankell) today and I was pretty much hooked in straight away. Over the last few months I've started reading books that couldn't do this. So I started wondering why?

I think the book hooked me in because it opened during the war crime trials in Germany (1945) something I knew nothing about. I was horrified to read that women had been involved in war crimes, and that they were executed (hung) for their role. I was also hooked in by the character of the hangman and his indifferent reaction to taking human life. I think I was intrigued by the ethical double standard, and maybe this is why I struggle with British crime novels that seem to shy away from this kind of material.

What hooks you? [fiction or non-fiction]

Comments

• edited July 2009
    i don't know what hooks me into a book - I know it doesn't have to be fast or slow paced to stop me from putting it down.

I do know that if I'm getting restless and tempted to start skipping ahead within the first 100 pages or so it is time to give it up as a bad job...but that doesn't happen often...

although I do tend to stick to certain authors - and try ones that are in a similar style or genre...
  • The first few paragraphs need to grab my attention, otherwise I don't bother.
  • Same here, Red. I have to see immediately that there is something up there that is going to happen. Suspense. First paragraph preferably; first page definitely.
  • I once bought a book called "Dark Green, Bright Red" without even reading the first page or the back cover. The title was good enough, so I was going to read it whatever.
    This habit of buying books by title has led me to some pitfalls though - I wasn't too fond of "The Art of Breaking Glass", but I found a delightful book called "The Maker of Heavenly trousers" by the same method.
    I went through a phase of buying books with ornamental spines, and by so doing, found "Arthur and George" which was ace.

What hooks me into a poetry book is another thread entirely.
  • Has to be a 'grab you by the throat' opening these days. Hold on ... I am saying 'these days' as if the older authors didn't.
    This is the first line of A Horseman Riding By by RF Delderfield ...arguably up there with my top ten favourite books.

He left the carriage, ascended the short flight of steps and walked briskly past the dozing porter sitting in the deep shade of the portico; a small, neat man, in dark, well-cut city clothes and glossy topper.

In the book 3 1/2 lines. The man intrigues because he is obviously self assured, rich, capable of walking around the city. The dozing porter is a good touch, we know the weather is bright and sunny.

Works for me.
  • When something happens and meeting the main character.
  • You wouldn't like Captain Corelli's Mandolin, then! :)
  • I go by blurb, then opening chapter. If I haven't put it down by then, it has to keep me entertained all the way through.

I get some really weird looks when I burst out laughing from reading...
  • Questions.
    If the opening makes me ask/think lots of questions that I want...no, need...to find out the answers to, than I'm hooked.

Also, Quests.

The Q's have it! ;)
  • I like a book to open with a bit of action and intrigue, if it's a thriller. I like to meet the main characters soon after that, especially the hero. If I'm reading a different genre then I like to meet the main characters as soon as possible.
  • If I'm not into the main character by the end of the first chapter - I'm off.
  • I continued reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin because I cracked up at the first chapter and the peanut in the ear ...
  • I read the back, or inner sleeve, and if it's not exhilerating, terrifying or hilarious enough (not all of these - obviously), I may not bother. The first few paras have to grab me too.

You then get the case of reading books by fave authors, because you know why you like them - and it can be very disappointing if they don't deliver.
  • I must be the only person who doesn't know if they don't deliver or whatever. Do I read with wool over my eyes because I don't imagine things properly either...
  • it's experience again, which comes from a lot of reading. Are you disappointed with a storyline, does it not hold your attention? If it doesn't the author failed to deliver.
  • I like something exciting or mystifying to happen in the first few pages. Something that makes me think: I wonder what is happening or going to happen here then. Or a character I feel I can identify with. What I don't like are books with too many characters. Each chapter early on seems to introduce another half dozen all seemingly unrelated story-wise to the ones you have already met. It drives me crazy trying to remember who they all are and I usually give up.