Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

'Children's book are too bleak':

edited August 2009 in - Reading
Hope I'm not double-posting this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208934/Childrens-book-bleak-Leading-author-condemns-realistic-novels.html

Comments

• Ah well, so at least now we know the ending to Anthony Browne's forthcoming novel.
  • I tend to agree with the sentiment behind her comments, but I may be in the minority.
  • No I agree with you PaulT- when you get to the books for early teens there are more 'challenging' less pleasant issues being written about.
    (My son was shadowing the Carnegia Medal shortlist again this year and as two of the books had issues like this, school sent out an explanatory form with quoted examples, and it was then up to the parents to agree by signing the form so
    their child could read those books.)
    Earlier this year there was an article about the lack of fathers in books, and quite a few of the writers here commented.
  • I asked both of my children (19 & 14 yrs) independently for their opinions on the matter, and they both agreed with the article. They have been prolific readers over the years, and so have a good grasp of the kind of material available.

Personally speaking, it seems to be the perception that the only way to succeed as a children's author, is to be more shocking, or unpleasant than the next. The result being they are answering questions that are reality based, but not actually being asked by the children. Education boffs latch onto these books, perceiving them as cutting edge, not realising that they are actually feeding the baser nature. I have also seen the same trend in drama lessons, where for example bad language is consistently used in the name of being relevant. Considering the wealth of plays available this is inexcusable and gives the wrong message to young minds.
  • Sorry Carol, If I seem to be on my soap box.
  • Well said, PaulT.
  • No I do agree with you PaulT, my kids are broad minded on reading subject but they are often dissatisfied because they can't see why those 'controversial' aspects were needed- it didn't make the book any better, and they then don't read any more of that author's books.

(one of them is getting the 'Richard Hannay Collection' after expressing an interest in John Buchan last night. He was able to read the first few pages on Amazon as it had a look inside option. He read the first three pages that were the excerpt and wanted more...)
  • We read it at school. Why does everything you read at school seem boring?
  • Because you are at school probably...;)
  • Wow Carol. I only discovered John Buchan in March.

He wrote some great 'boys own' stories.
  • Dom was watching The Thirty Nine Steps last night and asked who wrote the book, hence the discussion. After he read the first three pages in the excerpt he wanted more, so I ordered it. He will enjoy Buchan I'm sure.
  • Apparently much of what was written was the usual bad journalism and Anne fine's comments have been taken out of context. For a more rounded look at what was said this makes for very interesting reading -
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2009/aug/26/children-realism-anne-fine

As for all books being too bleak - absolute tosh!! There are many, many books out there for children to read that offer many, many different storylines, genres, styles; up-beat, down-beat, realistic, gritty, fantasy, fable. You name it, you can get it, that's what makes writing for children so damned exciting. I should know I read enough of them and they encompass so many narrative styles and messages that to focus on just one area of the market is very blinkered and misleading.
  • I think it would be false logic to say 'we shouldn't be letting children shouldn't be reading about this theme.' I think writers like Jacqueline Wilson do a great job of dealing with these 'bleak' issues.