Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Examples of a Writer's CV

edited September 2009 in - Writing Problems
I know this has been a regular topic and I have looked through previous threads but I still can't find what I want. I have looked through the Internet to find examples of writer's CVs but I'm still struggling.

So I don't have much (or anything) to put on it at the moment but I want to start building one. I have an idea of what needs to go on but don't know what it should generally 'look' like. Can anyone point me in the direction of some example writer's cvs???

Comments

• Jay may remember what the CV thtreads were called- they were a year ago or more.
  • A newish website, but which is building up a good store of useful info including this on writers' C.V.s

http://writers-clinic.webs.com/toptips.htm
  • That's a useful site Lily, thanks.
  • Thank you Lily - good site. Just had a look at the Writing Tips and read about counting spaces as well as words for novels. Is this common practice, then? I've just been counting words.
  • I only count words. My publishers have not asked for spaces to be counted. My editor says they can increase/decrease page numbers to suit by increasing or decreasing the spaces between words.
  • Won't the number of spaces be almost the same as the number of words?
  • "Membership of any writing groups/online forums + any conferences you’ve attended." That's us, right? I can put Talkback on my CV?
  • You can put anything you like, but some things are more appropriate than others. As with any c.v. it should be adapted according to where you'll send it. Publications would normally be an asset, but maybe a person wouldn't mention their erotic writing when submitting children's stories.

Being a member here is unlikely to impress anyone you've subbed a novel too (unless it's about writer's forums), but if you were applying to write a regular chatty column, then the experience of regular posts in a forum might be seen as an advantage.
  • I've been told that anything that amounts to a qualification for writing the work you are submitting would go down well with the author/editor. Like being a D of E instructor for 10 years if your novel is for teens and is set in the great wild outdoors. Any advanced English or writing qualifications of course.
  • What level is advanced English, Dwight?
  • When I was working with an agent for a short time, I was told that most publishers don't really care about academic qualifications, or even if you've been published in a magazine. What seems to matter most is a great idea and a fast paced story. I'm talking about thrillers here, maybe literary stuff is different.
  • There are some threads if you search Talkback's topics using cv - but you said they weren't what you were after.
  • Yes that's right Jay. I have been searching for a visual example of what it should look like (like you can find with regular cvs)
  • Perhaps that format could be adopted?

Most recent and relevant writing first, with a brief biography too.
  • BB- I see what you mean. The way I was thinking at the moment was:

Name and Contact Details

Brief Bio

Publications
    Name of story published in/at Date

Prizes and Awards

Relevant Work Experience

Relevant Education

Member of following Organisations

References

I don't really have anything to fill it with at the minute but it's nice to know what I am working towards
  • All CVs need to be geared to the recipient.

Not sure if I'd add references, but that's more with a business brain on. I prefer to see that included in a covering letter.
  • I can't see the need for references on a writing CV, either.
  • no, leave the references out. You don't need them and they are only opinions after all.
  • Unless they're from Stephen King or JKR, who think your writing is fantastic and want to write an introduction to your book and come along to all the publicity events.
  • Are you applying for a writing position, Emma B?
  • Nooo just trying to build up a writing cv
  • BUT have you had written anything?!! ;)
  • Sorry, Carol, didn't see your question on 'advanced English'. I was thinking it would be worthwhile saying you had a degree in English.
  • Thanks Dwight.
    I only got to A' level English.
  • That's Advanced level.
  • I didn't get GCE or GSCE or A level in English. I did get RSA in English.
  • You did English at a time when English was taught properly, Stan. :)
  • What impresses an editor is the work you have had published more than any degrees in English. Admittedly being able to use the language properly is a bonus but it doesn't take the place of good storytelling and gripping plotlines. My latest is a man telling me 'like all great writers I do not type my work' and also telling me that agents and publishers have had ideas and stories from him, stolen, in other words, worth at least two million ... methinks the man lives in dreamland and I have insisted all work comes on CD or by email, which should stop it dead in its tracks.

Today I had an email saying 'I have written this book, some of it fits what you publish, it's 125 pages, would you like to see it?' and I wondered why I got the impression this was a mass marketing mailout ...
  • edited August 2010
    I hope you are asking for Content writer cv
    Content writers should have good command over language and have excellent writing skills. Given an idea they should be able to create content for the idea. They should be able to write content on several topics and subjects.

Find out here Excellent samples of
    http://www.samplecvs.org/CV/writer-cv/
    http://www.samplecvs.org