Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Mail on Sunday Novel Competition 2009/10

edited September 2009 in - Reading
I understand that details for the new competition will be announced in the MoS dated 6th September.

Comments

• tell me more about it when you find out more. I'm intrested in this...
  • Thanks for the heads-up, Jay, will keep an eye on this.
  • Thanks for this Jay - well spotted.
  • If the details are online I'll let you know.
  • Thanks, Jay. You do keep ahead of the game, don't you!
  • Wow Jay! Thanks for that. Will definitely want to find out about that one :_
  • Thanks Jay (might stand a chance of entering this time!)
  • Ta muchly, Jay. Means I'll have to buy the Mail though, eh? Scares the life out of my boyfriend's parents, that newspaper does, making them think Engerland's gone to wrack and ruin. They've not left the country in 40 years, mind.
  • The winners of last year's will be announced in the same issue (the theme was HEAD). Look out for the Mail 2 supplement that comes with the main paper and has all the book reviews and crosswords in - that's where they will publish it. Winners will have been told by now, so I know it's not me this time! I wonder what this year's theme will be. The year I won this - a long long time ago - the theme was POWER, and all 6 shortlisted entries interpreted it very differently. Very nice award ceremony and lunch, with judges and agents. But in all these years they have never increased the first prize - £400 in book tokens and an Arvon course.
  • You won! Wow!!!
  • Thanks, Jay.

Didn't realise they had a theme - how long does that give us to write the novel?
  • You sure that's the same thing Viv? I've just done a search for previous years and found this;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-443515/Could-publishing-sensation.html

The prize is a publishing deal and there's no theme.
  • Yeah, that's the comp I was thinking of.
  • No, that's not the one Jay is talking about - or me.
    This is an annual comp run by the Mail on Sunday (not the Daily Mail) for just the opening to a novel. It's been running about 20 years, and you don't have to write the rest of the novel, although it's a great boost to actually make you do it! They set a one word 'theme' and you have to incorporate the word in your opening, which is only 150 words max. Quite hard to grab attention in so few words. Fay Weldon and John Mortimer (now sadly died) have always judged it along with a different guest judge each year, and you get to meet them at the winners lunch. It was James Herbert when I won. I came second three years after I won it, and the judge then was Sue Townsend. They get around 5000 entries.
  • edited September 2009
    Oh! Never heard of this one. I'll look out for it.

Thanks.
  • It sounds fantastic. Can't wait to hear more.
  • I entered this once...think I came 5,000th!!!

Will be giving it a go.
  • Col, I think I was right behind you and I'll also be giving it ago, see if I can make 4999th
  • Don't forget to get your copy of The Mail on Sunday. This year's word is LIGHT. Full details on page 12 of Section 2.
  • OK, I have details for those who don't want to buy the paper. It's on page 12 of the Mail 2 Supplement if you do buy it! Also has the winning entry from last year, based on the word head. I know the lady who has come third - and it was me who pointed out the competition to her!!

Write the opening lines of a novel - between 50 and 150 words - introducing the word LIGHT. Use it as a verb, noun or adjective, set the action in sunlight or by moonlight, whatever you like. Winners get book tokens (£400 first, others between £150 and £300). Judges are Fay Weldon, James Buchan and Deborah Moggach.
    Send typed entry or clearlly written with name, address, email address, tel no, all on the same page to
    The Mail on Sunday Novel Competition
    P O Box 75
    Rochester
    Kent
    ME2 2DB.

Closing date 30 October.
    Good luck everyone!
  • Jay is that the main body of the paper or one of the magazine supplements?
  • Just had a brisk walk to the shops - half a mile each way - to buy the paper. Good exercise, so I'm told! Thanks for the heads up, Jay. :-)
  • Carol, it's not the main paper or the You magazine. It's another 'paper' which has 2 on it. It's probably enclosed in a polythene wrapper inside the main paper.
  • Forgot to add that the winner gets a place on an Arvon course too.
    The piece in the paper is very small so easy to miss! All the details you need are as above though if you don't want to buy it.
  • Just had a browse through the Mail on Sunday - after cutting out the competition details. Princess Michael of Kent's son is getting married - she took charge of the wedding planning and had a £40,000 budget from the bride's parents. Apparently, the wedding is tens of thousands of pounds over budget and far too many guests have been invited for the size of the venue. They're worried about running out of champagne. Goodness, it's a completely different world, isn't it? You don't get this sort of news in The Guardian. :-)
  • Viv, do the terms and conditions state whether this is only open to UK residents? Thanks.
  • Thanks for the details, Viv and thanks Jay for alerting us to this comp. I remember entering this several years ago when the theme was water. Everyone in the family had a go and we came up with very different takes on the theme.
  • Claudia, I think Viv's probably put everything - it's very loose/vague. Good luck!
  • Yes, Claudia, there are no real terms or conditions, so if it doesn't say you can't enter I would assume you can!
  • Thanks Jay, thanks Viv. I always have to check because quite frequently competitions like this aren't open to non-UK residents.
  • This may be a silly question. Does it need a title?
  • Probably doesn't matter either way.
  • Viv, Jay, thanks. I think TeamTB has a goodly number of interested players in this one ...
  • No, it doesn't need a title.
  • Thanks Viv. Does it have to be double spaced?
  • Doesn't say so. As they are even prepared to take handwritten entries, I don't think it matters too much as long as its readable!
  • Thanks - I'm going to have a go.
  • I'm trying to write an entry but it just isn't coming together at the moment. Nothing like the pressure of a postal strike to put me off!
  • Quick question - do I give it a title?
  • edited October 2009
    Up to you! Hang on, I'll just see if the previous winner gave it one.
  • None was mentioned.
  • Have the winners been announced yet?
  • Not heard anything. I think there is a couple of months to go.
  • I read somewhere that they don't announce the winner until the start of the next competition.
  • That's right. But I think the winners and shortlisted entrants themselves do get to know shortly before their names appear in the paper. That's what happened when I got through before anyway. A friend of mine was in the final 6 last year and was taken out for a nice lunch. I think the next comp and the results tend to appear around August. Long wait yet.
  • OK, so it's August now - have we all bombed?
  • I'll give it till September and then put a cross on the spreadsheet.
  • I think we may have all bombed, but the new comp should be out in early Sept, judging by last year's timing, so perhaps we should be patient a little longer. It would be nice to know what was the winning entry and also have a go again this year