Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Google Books project to remove European titles (article)

edited September 2009 in - Reading
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/6151136/Google-Books-project-to-remove-European-titles.html

Comments

• Some reasonably good news at last.
  • Well it is a compromise of a sort.
  • "We must ask how best to deliver the wealth of European and world literature – and other cultural works – to citizens."

Any comments, anyone?
  • I suggest buying and reading the books, or am I being a little naive here?
    I'm not a supporter of the grab, steal or borrow attitude that seems to be rife at the moment.
  • I've got no problem if the work is out of copyright.
    But I do agree with KJ.
    I would have no problem with say the first chapter (and index if applicable) being free to view- but then you have to buy (whatever version you want). After all we've all at some time had trouble finding a copy of a book that is old and out of print.
    I like the 'Look Inside' option some books on Amazon have, and it will often mean I go on to purchase that book.

The expensive part of this delivering 'the wealth of European and world literature' is translation- okay if it was done in your language, but a bit of an issue if you don't speak the language the book was issued in.
  • I'm confused by this whole thing. Sorry if I'm about to sound like a big thicko...
    Fair enough if the work is out of copyright, but if the EU allowed this google books thing, would that mean that, if I got published, google could scan my book onto their search engine and anyone could just see it on the internet without buying it? Or if I was lucky enough to get a deal with a US publisher, my book would end up on the internet straight away?

*SA*
  • edited September 2009
    SA this may help.

http://www.googlebooksettlement.com/

If you look in the FAQ section you will find an answer to your query.
  • Thanks, Carol, that helped a bit, although I still feel like a bit of an idiot. I always considered myself a relativly intelligent person, but I'm still not 100% on what all of this means. I think I'll look into it a bit more, see if I can find a dummies' guide or something...

*SA*
  • It is quite complex.
    Somewhere on here there might be the original item.
    Around about April/May there was the notice in WN which notified writers who might have an interest.
    If I find it, I'll drag it out.