Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Lloyd Lofthouse will visit Ascroft, eh? on Tuesday

edited September 2009 in - Reading
I recently read 'My Splendid Concubine' by Lloyd Lofthouse. Set in nineteenth century China, it’s a love story between Robert Hart, inspector general of China’s Customs Service, and his concubine, Ayaou. It was a book I really enjoyed. As I turned the pages I swiftly slipped into the story and was lost in it until the end. Afterwards I had some questions swirling around in my head – historical fiction always grabs me and I have to know more. So I invited the author, Lloyd Lofthouse to drop by Ascroft, eh? at www.dianneascroft.wordpress.com on Tuesday, 29th September to answer my questions. I’m looking forward to his responses to my queries.

Here’s what some of the reviewers have said: “If even half of Lofthouse’s narrative is true, it’s a stunning work that enmeshes imperialism, modernity, miscegenation and plain old desire in a sweaty matrix of destruction and painful birth.” City Weekend Magazine

"Those who are interested in unconventional romances with an out-of-the-ordinary setting will find plenty to enjoy.” Historical Novels Review

If you want to learn more about a really interesting book, drop by Ascroft, eh? at www.dianneascroft.wordpress.com on Tuesday, 29th September and hear what Lloyd Lofthouse has to say.

Dianne Ascroft,
author of 'Hitler and Mars Bars'

Comments