Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I'd really like to know your struggle for research.

edited January 2010 in - Writing Tales
How do you acheive it? Any embarrassing episodes? Post answers to my blog and leave a link in your post to direct people back to your blog.

http://louisewise.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-have-you-done-in-name-of-research.html

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Mainly, I've researched on the internet or asked my questions directly.
    I went to Stirling in June (where my books are set) so I could see the place I'd been dreaming and writing about for myself. Everyone I met was very interested in what I was doing, and told me a lot of things about the area that I probably wouldn't have found out for myself. I went to Logie Old Kirk (where some very important scenes in book #1 are set), but when we got there, it was all locked up. I figured I had to be proactive, as I'd come a long way to see that place in particular, so I phoned the cemeteries service, got the number for the head of the Friends of Logie Society, and she came out to the cemetery about twenty minutes later. She then showed us around the grounds and told us about the history. It was very thoughtful of her, as she didn't have to take time out of her day to show a group of total strangers around. When I told her what I wanted to see it for, she was very excited.
    My sister and I took tons of photos and videos everywhere we went, but a few months later, when I got into writing book #2 I realised I had no pictures of the grounds surrounding the National Wallace Monument. I couldn't remember what the wall opposite the front door (the barrier to stop you falling two hundred feet down the crag) was made of. In my mind, I think I was mixing it up with the walls in the Castle. So I emailed the 'contact us' for the Monument, explained what I was doing, and got a lovely email back, explaining the layout and wishing me luck.
    Whenever I've needed to know something specific, I've asked people straight out wherever I could. Honesty is definitely the best policy, and if you need to know something, don't be shy. If you don't ask, you'll never know.

http://whitefireandsapphireeyes.blogspot.com/

*SA*
  • I learnt the hard way that honesty is best. :(
  • Sometimes I simply have my character say they don't know what something is!
  • Oh, and once I wrote a whole load of stuff about Venice. Sounded like it was on behalf of the Italian Tourist Board. Took most of it out in the end.
  • Don't wanna be a pain, but could you put your answers on my blog please?
  • Too exhausted. Not really research, anyway.
  • Done :D

*SA*
  • Sorry. Feel free to copy & paste.