Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Joint runner up in the Divine Poetry Competition!

edited February 2010 in - Writing Tales
Just had a letter to say that I am joint runner up in the Divine chocolate poetry competition-adult category! It says' There were thousand of entries but your poem had exceptional style and Anthony Horowitz, our celebrity judge really enjoyed reading it aloud.
We will let the local newspapers in your area know you are winner.'

I am thrilled. Think I win a book voucher or a hamper of chocolate!

The poem will be on their web site soon www.divinechocolate.com and You Tube. www.youtube.com/user/DivineChoc

Comments

• That's brilliant Kateyanne, congratulations.
  • Book voucher or hamper of chocolate -what a dilhemma. Which would be the prize of choice? Congratulations, Kateyanne.
  • Wow! - well done and what a lovely choice of prizes. Much as I love books, I know which I'd choose :)

Fantastic, too, that Anthony Horowitz liked your work. Sounds as if you may have made a good contact there. Does he know you write children's books, too?
  • Woohoo! Good for you! :)
  • Good point Rosalie. Maybe I could send him one of my books but how?
  • Excellent!

I think you should let Divine know about your books. There's a chance they'll mention them in the press releases they send to announce the winner which would get you some extra publicity.
  • Well done!
  • Brilliant Kateyanne! Can we get to read it?
  • Fantastic Katyanne! Out of thousands of entries too - not surprised you're thrilled. :D
  • Well done. Chocolate is a great theme for a poem! And an even better prize.
  • Well done, Kateyanne!
  • A choccy box full of congratulations for you Katyanne - what fame!
  • Congrats, thrilled for you K!
  • Wow! Congratulations, Kateyanne. What amazing comments.
  • Thanks everyone.
    Liz the poem will be on the web site soon and I think Anthony H will be reading it out on You Tube.
  • YeeHAH! well done! We wanna read it!
    And I agree about using the AH link if you possibly can, there must be a way.
    Good one, KA!
  • Woweeeeeeeee ! Well done you Kateyanne !!
  • edited February 2010
    How lovely! Well done. I would love to hear my poetry performed someday.
  • Congratulations!
  • Well done, Kateyanne.
  • edited February 2010
    The poem is on the web site now, please leave a comment, a nice one of course:)

http://www.divinechocolate.com/news/showNews.news89.aspx
  • OK, comment coming up ...
  • Wow, well done kateyanne. I very nearly entered that comp.

Surely you must be TB's regular comp winner :-)

Have you got any tips on winning competitions??
  • Kateyanne, in reply to your question - why not send Anthony Horowitz a copy of your children's book(s), care of his publisher? In my experience, such things usually reach the author eventually, though of course not all respond. Remind him who you are and that he enjoyed your work. You never know...
  • Thanks Rosalie might try that. Nothing ventured...

Emma, the main tips I have are keep sending poems out and check out what sort of poem has won before.

My chocolate hamper arrives tomorrow. Yummy.
  • Well chosen, Kateyanne :) Enjoy!
  • Kateyanne, I've only just seen this - well done. You must feel very proud.
  • Wow! Well done!
  • Thanks, Jay sadly the chocolate has all gone now.
  • Gone already??? How big was the hamper?
  • Well I shared it with the rest of the family.
    There were about 15 bars of chocolate-various flavours ( don't like coffee choc but my daughter does) and a bag of choc nuts ( they were my fav) a bag of mini eggs, choccie coins-granddaughter had those and some choccie mints.
    I got a tee shirt too.
  • Now *that's* the way to treat a poet.

If only our society would get the right idea....
  • Well done, Kateyanne! I've left a comment.
  • Thanks, Verica.
    Do you mean a comment on the Divine web site? I can't see it.
  • brilliant, you just keep on turning out the good stuff, don't you? Congrats!
  • Fantastic Kateyanne. Well done.
  • I didn't see this last month either, so a belated congratulations Kateyanne. What a fantastic prize too!
  • Nice one, Kateyanne - congrats!