Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

An acceptance into another exposure anthology

edited March 2010 in - Writing Tales
After a rejection earlier in the week, those who visit my site will know about it brought my scoreboard to 5 - 5, rejections versus acceptances for this year. Tonight though I'm pleased to announce I got in a revenge anthology called Don't Tread on Me with a story that was originally published on TKnC, The Cat's Away.

Comments

• Well done Lee. Where do you find all these anthologies? Are they mainly US based?
  • Hey, I remember that one well, Lee - damn good. Well done, bud.

Claudia,
    Think he trawls this place: http://duotrope.com/index.aspx
  • That and www.Ralan.Com

The majority are US based but I'm not picky and it makes choosing peoples birthday/christmas/mothers day/Fathers Day/Wednesday presents easier. Everyone knows that's what they're getting lol.
  • Well done you are doing well.
  • If you're submitting to anthologies in order to build your writing career, just be sure that they're good anthologies.

A large number of people compile anthologies in order to plump up their own CV, rather than to publish and promote good writing. They do very little editing, print the resulting anthology using POD, and don't do any distribution other than sticking the book on Amazon and selling them to the people who appear in the book. These anthologies usually sink without trace.

Good anthologies are edited well, have good distribution, and get noticed. These can and will enhance your reputation as a writer, but are very hard to get into.
  • Thanks for the advice HPRW. I've a plan, and so far it's working. I'm in one anthology that paid me rates enough to make me eligible for the horror writers guild and my story also gained a great review in a print horror magazine. I do know the pitfalls, of 4 the luv anthologies, but the ones I've been getting into I've been joined by a load of writing friends. It's not all about career, it's about having fun. It's the only way to stay sane, make sure you enjoy what you're doing. The only part of last years writing I didn't enjoy was an agent who represents some big writing names asking if I wanted representation, I then rushed out a partial(Thank you, you know who you peeps are for going through the MSS and making it that much better) and he didn't want it. So now I'm doing things at my own pace. Even if only my family buy the anthologies I can sit on the loo, take a dump and read a story of Col B's, good times.
  • Lee, so long as you know what's what and are happy with your choices, that's great: my concern was that you didn't fully understand. And I always think, too, of those who are less well-informed who might come along after me and read the thread. It all helps.
  • Don't worry, I check what rights I'm giving away. To me, they're only words, I can write another story. I admit I might be too relaxed about my writing, most of the time not even taking it seriously enough. It's like with the score board and publically announcing each rejection, most people can't fathom why I do it. I do it because so many people think rejections are dirty little attic secrets, when they're not. Writing friends who visit my site have started posting 'Yeah, I got the big 'R' from that place too'

When you're starting out you can't expect everything you write to be worth real money. But you can start off with the platform of exposure. To me a 4 the Luv antho is no different than being published on an eZine. Looking at the Predators and Editors readers poll for last year, the main players were eZines and 4 the Luv anthos. Too many people think free = crap.
  • I began my writing career in June 1979 when I wrote a piece of fan fiction. I wrote more fan fiction, then the editor made the comment I was writing more for the wider world than the fanzine, it was getting away from the characters. It was then I branched out into 'ordinary' fiction, having many (unpaid) successes in small press zines. It gave me the confidence to try other (paying) places and so it progressed from there. I have never regretted all that 'given away' work, it has paid off in the confidence it gave me and a CV which can state, truthfully, X amount of short stories published. Because, there were rejections along with the acceptances, to ensure I didn't get too blinded by my own ego.

I have had work published in a couple of leading anthologies. One was a surprise, she took a previously published story and picked so many holes in it I wondered how it got into print the first time. The fact is, she wanted it because it fitted the theme of the anthology perfectly (Sacred Exchange) and I reworked it to fit her requirements. It was a much better story after that. The recent (12 hour) acceptance for another anthology was a surprise, even though it was for my editor, he is still very picky. Those early successes certainly did their job, teaching me the art of short story writing and giving me confidence.
  • edited March 2010
    Lee, Dorothy, HPRW,
    I concur. The anthologies Lee & I have been submitting to have been rejecting subs too (some good stories from friends that I thought may make it in), so they don't just take - for want of a better expression - any old crap. So it's a very useful exercise for the learning curve, the CV and, yep, fun!

But I appreciate your sentiment and thoughtful words of warning, HPRW.
  • edited March 2010
    I fully agree Dorothy. I 'gave away' over 50 short stories last year. Didn't bring me any money but it brought me the time of editors who took time out to go so far as to teach me grammar lol, hell when I started out last year I didn't know that about the use of commas and periods at the end of dialogue was dictated by what followed. For years I'd been creating my own standard of grammar lol. That time that those folk took in itself is invaluable.
  • Congrats Lee you've done it again!

And I don't think it matters if you are 'too relaxed about your writing'; you have the largest output of anyone I know. I don't know how you do it, especially having time for things like computer games on top!
  • [quote=LeeH]Didn't bring me any money but it brought me the time of editors who took time out to go so far as to teach me grammar[/quote]

I've only had a handful of short stories printed, but the changes made by the editors has been invaluable in improving my writing.
  • Another success, well done Lee.
  • Well done Lee, that's great news!
  • Forgot to say congrats, LeeH!
  • Great news - well done again, Lee!
  • Greast stuff, Lee ! Congratulations.
  • Well done. And it didn't even involve a wee this time, you must be improving. ;) Good for you.
  • Congratulations Lee, keep up the good work! Glad you're having fun AND staying sane, I always thought it was one or the other :D
  • At it again, Lee? Well done. Your determination is admirable!
  • Congratulations ;)
  • Brillo pads.
  • Well done!
  • Well done LeeH - I'm glad you are still ahead!