Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Thomas Hardy manuscripts saved for the nation

edited April 2010 in - Reading
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/7547155/Thomas-Hardy-manuscripts-saved-for-the-nation.html

Comments

• Gosh. It's extraordinary they could have been sold in the first place. Not that I am a BIG fan of Hardy. Having lived in Dorchester and had his writings fully bestowed upon me for many a year.
  • I always feel sad when manuscripts, diaries etc are sold overseas. A friend of mine was devastated lately when she found out that the diaries of her husband's ancestor - a huge figure in local history - had been sold to a stranger, a dealer who will sell them on. The family hadn't even been informed that they were for sale. All that history is now lost to someone who couldn't give a ...
  • I can't recall reading Thomas Hardy. My wife has read most of his novels.
  • edited April 2010
    I read Thomas Hardy years ago and loved his books. He also wrote some fine poetry.

It's sad when manuscripts, diaries and so on are sold to dealers, etc, and then disappear. It's best, I agree, if they can be preserved in the country of origin. But failing that, I'd rather they went somewhere like the University of Austin, Texas, where at least they will be properly housed and displayed.