Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My first book published.

edited May 2010 in - Writing Tales
I have just had my first book published fifty years after first thinking I'd like to be an author and ten years after sending my first submission away. So am like a puppy with two tails.
The book is called "A Fateful Legacy" and has been published with the American company Solstice Publishing. They mostly do ebooks. Unfortunately in New Zealand, where I live ebook, readers are not much sold yet. So any sales success I have will be in the USA. But the sales of ebook readers are booming there, particularly now with the new Ipad which is also an ebook reader.
I have Writer's News to thank for finding Solstice Publishing as it was featured it in the March 2010 edition (when it was callled Hearts on Fire Books). I sent my book off on 11 Feb and got the offer of a contract on 13 Feb. Hurrah for emails as in the short time since then I got the contract, signed and returned it, was assigned an editor (Kate Richards) and did the necessary rewrites/deletions etc, got a front cover made (even though its ebooks they still have a front cover) and now, 6 May, my book is on their web site.
Isn't life good?
Might I ask any already succesful authors does it feel as good for any subsequent publishing success?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Congratulations, Pete! Yes, other books are pretty good, too.

http://solsticepublishing.com/a-fateful-legacy-p-57.html

Pete's book.
  • Congratulations, Pete - great news.
  • Congratulations - you must be over the moon.
  • Fantastic news. What sort of royalties do you get?
  • Congratulations, that's great news.
  • Well done Pete.
  • Great news, well done!
  • Congratulations, Pete. I agree it's a great feeling. Enjoy!
  • Congratulations - good luck with your sales - wonderful news.
  • Congratulations, Pete. May there be many more.
  • Pleased for you Pete :) That's great news.
  • Congratulations, Pete. Wonderful news.
  • Congrats Pete, I hope it sells shed loads and you get rich :)
  • many congratulations, Pete! It just goes on feeling good but there is nothing like the first one!
  • Congratulations Pete! :-D
  • Congratulations. That's great news!
  • Fantastic, and so encouraging to hear that publishing is not just a young person's game.

<tootles off the check out the link>
  • Well done, Pete!
  • Many congratulations Pete. It just shows - never give up!
  • Congratulations! It gives those of us who still have that dream hope. It shows we really should keep going.
  • Thanks to all good friends of this site. Jay thanks for putting the link on your message. As my publisher is mainly ebooks they have lower prices than print (hope that encourages more sales) They pay 40% to the authors and my book is priced US$ 4.99 so work it out for yourselves. They sell through other sites (like Amazon) and I get 40% of what Solstice gets. They have how the percentages work on the Solstice web site.
  • Well done Pete!
  • Congratulations Pete!
  • Well done, Pete! :)
  • congratulations pete
  • Fantastic - well done. Checking out site now...
  • Well done, Pete. An example to us all.
  • congratulations - great news.
  • Oh boy yes, Pete - it feels good ! Well done - now get on with the next one ! ;)
  • Many congratulations, Pete!

[quote=Pete G]Might I ask any already succesful authors does it feel as good for any subsequent publishing success? [/quote]

I don't know about books as I'm not a novelist, but I do know that I get the same thrill every time I see one of my articles in print; does that count? :)
  • Congratulations, Pete. That's so exciting. You must be over the moon.

*SA*
  • Well done, Pete!
  • Thanks for your thanks. And yes, Claudia, it does count regardless of what you write.
  • Well done Pete. I'd love to write a book but it seems like a lot of hard work. You have my admiration.
  • Tremendous news, Pete.
    It's a massive achievement in many ways and proves your character as a writer, fella.
    Inspiring stuff. Very well done.
  • How come I missed this?
    That's called persistence, Pete! Well done and enjoy.
  • Well done, Pete!
  • Thanks DenneBebo, Col B, ceka and Phot's Moll. I thought this thread was dead. Nice to have someone to tell about the book. My wife is not interested, my emails to family only got one reply and emails to friends got even less response. Thank God for this web site. Incidenatlly I have no idea yet wehteranyone has bouhgt the damn thing. Don't want to pester the publisher and Amazon and other sites don't give a clue if it has sold even one copy. Someone said selling a book is harder than writing one, I'm starting to think that is true. So it's becoming a bit of a let down now. Hope you all do better than me, and take less than fifty years.
  • God why didn't I proof read that last entry? No wonder it has taken so long to get published.
  • I seem to have missed this in the wash, too. Congratulations Pete. I'm absolutely stoked for you! :D
  • You can edit still Peter! For 4 hours after a comment is added. Up on the right there of your comment box.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks Island Girl. And thanks Liz for pointing that I can edit later. Must remember to read the instructions in future.
  • Don't feel let down Pete, it's early days. A lot of books are sold by word of mouth recommendations and as such it takes a while to get the momentum going. Good luck with it all and enjoy being a published author.
  • Thanks Lou. The trouble is after so long trying to be published I am impatient for more.
  • Well done you and good luck with the next book!
  • Thanks writebag. Feeling sorry for myself at the moment. I should not as most people on this site just want to get anyhting published.
  • Peter, I used to think that once a book was published that was the dream fullfilled. Unfortunately the next worry is how to promote it, then how to promote it and then how to promote it...

My main worry was that someone would ask for their money back!

I'm not sure if you have done this but if you subscribe to Writers News you can send your news and a photo to the editor and your book will be shown in the subscribers pages.

Also write a letter or send an email to all the local newspapers and radio stations in your area. Make an appointment to speak at libraries, writers groups and retirement groups. You have an amazing story to tell and it gives hope to many other writers.

Readers letters in mags such as Yours and The Oldie showing how you have achieved your dream will not only see your name in print but will publicise the book.

I am taking your story to show my students in my write a novel class. Many are retired and are still writing - your stopry will give them hope.

I know it is addictive watching Amazon ratings but try not to worry too much about numbers. I was clicking on every few minutes at one time but try not to look more than once every few days now - it is hard! T^he time is better spent trying to get your name and the title of the book 'out there'

We are all behind you!
  • Writebag, Pete, this is an opportunity to once again relate the comment made by Andrew Wood (late of MLB) who said, once the group got the record contract, the work really began, promoting the music, going on tour, doing the interviews ... this is why I have a media rep, so I get to do all that but someone else does the press releases and things. I know the rest of the promotion is down to me. Bodley Head published one of my books and it fell by the wayside through lack of promotion on their part, I had no say in it then. Nothing stays still, write the book, get it accepted, go out there and 'sell' it to the world. Write to everyone you can think of and then some. Writebag's advice here is first class, go with it, Pete, don't sit back and let it sell itself.
  • Thanks to writebag and dorothyd. Yes it's true that it doesn't end with the book being published so I am slogging on with promotion while working on the next project(s)
  • http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1276476498/ref=sr_pg_4?ie=UTF8&unfiltered=1&rh=n%3A%211000%2Ci%3Astripbooks%2Cp_30%3ASolstice%20Publishing&page=4

Don't know if this'll be current when you look at it, Pete ...