Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

That pesky apostrophe again!

2»

Comments

• Takes on a Harry Hill Voice...."Only one way to settle this....FIGHT!"

Stalagmites, stalactites, gotta have a system.
  • but when you recite the rosary, each Hail Mary is differentiated by a bead. They are individual Hail Mary's. I would apostrophe it, every time.

Rules of grammar sometimes make something look wrong. Hail Marys looks wrong. The spellchecker has underlined it there.
  • To say Hail Mary's, you have to say Hail Mary's prayers. Otherwise it is grammatically wrong.

You can't have a possesive apostrophe without an object.
  • Exactly.

Turning something plural shouldn't create the need for an apostrophe.

If you refer to a group of girls named Mary, they are Marys, not Mary's.
  • LizLiz
    edited June 2010
    I say a Hail Mary. And I mean the prayer, as a sort of shorthand. If I said Hail Marys, I would mean more than one Hail Mary. But if in my mind I was thinking that they were her prayers, which they are, surely that turns them into an object (her prayers, said to her, and only ever said to her, and belonging to her as they have been given to her) and therefore they should be apostrophied?

If you are thinking of the Hail Mary prayer as a sort of unit rather than something you are giving to Mary then it would need no apostrophe...
  • that's the way I was thinking, Liz.
  • (Yes, I was Catholic, but not any more. I have been ex-communicated for hearty disbelief.)
  • Or should it be Hail Maries?

And another thing. What about letters of the alphabet? Would one write: There are four s's in Mississippi, four i's, two p's and an m?
  • No, there should be no apostrophe as it is just a plural, but I have thought before that it is quite hard to write plurals of letter and have it look right or understandable...
  • I suppose you could make them words, Liz. A serious dictionary might help here for spellings. I mean for esses, ayes, pees and an em. What do you think?
  • Aye's have it?
  • I think you are right BB.
  • Thank's.

;)
  • Lol. Dagger's at Dawn's?
  • duel's with second's?
  • Who's Dagger and why's he at Dawn's?
  • Dagger's a dastardly foe who's busy making eye's at Dawn's fortune's
  • [quote=Liz!]I say a Hail Mary. And I mean the prayer, as a sort of shorthand. If I said Hail Marys, I would mean more than one Hail Mary. But if in my mind I was thinking that they were her prayers, which they are, surely that turns them into an object (her prayers, said to her, and only ever said to her, and belonging to her as they have been given to her) and therefore they should be apostrophied?[/quote]

[quote=dorothyd]that's the way I was thinking, Liz.[/quote]

Me too. I'm sticking to my original gut feeling on this one and declare that I did not make a grammatical mistake in my challenge entry - so there! ;)
  • [quote=Stirling]To say Hail Mary's, you have to say Hail Mary's prayers. Otherwise it is grammatically wrong.

You can't have a possesive apostrophe without an object. [/quote]

Not quite sure if I've understood you here, but what about:

"John lives at home, but Mary lives at her parents'."

(OK, I suspect somewhere there should be a question mark.)
  • edited June 2010
    I don't see what you are getting at Jay. The apostrophe rule has no application in that sentence. 'Lives' is the verb, and is not a possessive.

Although it should be 'Mary lives with her parents.''
  • At her parents' house.
  • INSPIRED BY THIS THREAD

i am being hunted by the punctuation police the grammar squad are involved as well they will soon catch up with me if i stay out here in open ground i will turn off my spag checker because it is now screaming at me like a vuvuzela i have already shut down all capital letters

if i can make it to the poem near the bottom of the page in between the advert which says if i send them ten thousand pounds they will publish my novel and the one for a writers retreat on an oil rig i will be undercover and in a better position to escape

i have arrived safe and well it is one of those free verse poems a reader who is not interested in poetry will soon turn the page and not notice i am there all i have got to do now in a covert manner is to creep down all the way to escape from fictionland and leap right off the page

i begin my journey through the lines of verse
    and attempt to crawl past two stanzas
    with no forced end rhymes
    or inversions

an enjambment is a welcome sight
    as i can run on to the next line
    with confidence
    at last i have escaped

i feel pleased with myself if i can extend this story to about 140000 words i will be able to get it published with the spare ten grand i have in my back pocket
  • kado, that is m a g n i f i c e n t ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
  • Great poem kado.
  • He he - good one, Kado!
  • Ah, but you omitted the 'house' part, which is ungrammatical in itself.
  • You missed out the object making it a sentence fragment. English is a SVO ( subject + verb + object) language.
  • If it's dialogue in a novel it would be wrong I think to have written it grammatically, when it's not the way your character is speaks, so in this case I think it depends on the circumstances!!!
  • The Oxford Dictionary gives Hail Marys as plural, as does Websters
  • "Hail Mary" is the name of the prayer so logically more than one Hail Mary becomes Hail Marys.
  • I am glad I'm a Baptist and don't have to do Hail Mary's (Hail Mary, if you please). ;)
  • Hail Marys, Stan - no apostrophe required! :)
  • I think you are right!
  • So the sentence

At/In the baker's, I bought a loaf of bread

is incorrect?
  • edited June 2010
    Well, you don't need the comma to start with.

Okay, by saying 'the baker's' you've omitted the word shop/store which would make the posssessive correct, otherwise the phrase is colloquial. The other was would be to say at the bakery I bought a loaf of bread.
  • So I may omit "shop" from "at the baker's", but I may not omit "house" from "at my parents'/sister's/uncle's"?
  • No, both are valid. You can shop at the baker's (shop implied) or live at your parents' (house implied). However, if you claim that Hail Mary actually means Hail Mary's prayer (the prayer of Hail Mary? Doesn't make any sense at all) with the 'prayer' implied, then the singular Hail Mary should be Hail Mary's (prayer implied), which of course it is not. And the plural would be Hail Marys' or Hail Marys's.

A Hail Mary is the name of a type of prayer (coined from the first two words of the prayer), just as a daschund is a type of dog. You don't say (in the plural) daschund's (dog implied), you say daschunds. Similarly Hail Mary's is incorrect, Hail Marys correct.

Or, of course, it could be Hails Mary? ;-)
  • Mary is OK!
  • Ave, Maria.
  • How do you solve a problem like Maria?
  • Get the black one to take her away?