Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Some good news!

edited June 2010 in - Writing Tales
I mentioned that I had approached a few people with regards to freelance writing work. I have heard back from two of them, one saying that they do not require writers any more as the position has been filled, but they will keep me on file. The other has said that I need to take a brief test and I would earn $200 per fortnight, and have to write 1000 Q&A's. It is not a great deal of money, and will no doubt give me my first taste of being a paid writer, but it is more money than what I am bringing at the moment, and it will be experience. It will also be something I can add to my writing CV.

I am pleased, and trying to believe that I can do it. I will let you all know the outcome of course!

Comments

• edited June 2010
    It's a start, febes. You'll be earning money writing on a regular basis! And you can do it!
  • That sounds good, Febes. Is it a good and reputable company?
  • good news indeed!
  • It is a Canadian company, one which I have not heard off. And I wasn't given a website to look at. There is also nothing in his e-mail that gives it away.....hmmmm.

I don't have to pay THEM so, so far I am not at risk of being scammed....am I?
  • Good luck with the test. Hope it turns out to be good ;)
  • Good luck Febes.
  • edited June 2010
    [quote=febes]I would earn $200 per fortnight, and have to write 1000 Q&A's.[/quote]

What does this mean, febes?

Excuse me if I'm being thick.
  • I have to write 1000 Questions with answers. I worked out that I would be earning $0.001 per word. Hardly seems worth it. But as a new writer, I need to build up my portfolio. I am given keywords, I have to write a question, and answer it.

Hope I have cleared it for you Mabh.
  • I suggest you ask yourself some very very long questions and take your time in getting the point of the answer.
    You'll be quids in.

Good luck with it febes. Hope it all works out fine for you.
  • Febes, have you Googled the company? And checked if they're on Editors & Preditors?
  • Goodluck Febes!
  • good luck - hope it turns out to be worth it.
  • Sounds hopeful, and like you say it will enhance your CV and give you some solid experience. Good luck!
  • Good luck!

It does sound like an awful lot of work. 1,000 questions written concisely and coherently will be a test in itself.
  • nah in't BB.

work it out.

how many per minute would you have to think up? Oh, there's one. :)

questions are everywhere.
  • Jay never heard of the Editors site, and I have no company name to go off. Have checked. Not done much for it as have had some personal problems at home which have taken a lot of time dealing with. But I will start over the weekend :)
  • Wasn't there an article in Writing Magazine about this kind of thing - writing Q&As for what is a very small reward?
  • Did you ever do this, Febes?
  • Which month was the article please Dene?
  • Hi dora,

Unfortunately I can't remember which month it was. But the gist seemed to be that it's a lot of effort for little return. The only benefit I could see is that it could become a source of recurring work.