Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Wanna join a critique group for short stories for Woman's Mags?

edited June 2010 in - Resources
For some years I've been a member of an online critique group for SF and fantasy. It's worked really well, and most of us got published. I'd like a similar group to swap critiques aimed at women's magazines, like "Take a Break" and Women's Weekly".

Does anyone know of such a group which considers new members? Or would anyone like to join me in one?

Ideally, I'm looking for people who:
can be honest without being cruel ("I didn't find your character all that interesting" rather than, "Well that was boring!")
are fairly serious about improving their writing
and
will contribute roughly as many critiques as they receive without having to be nagged.

I created a group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WomensFictionCritiques. Please come and join me, because I'm feeling lonely.

Comments

• That link doesn't work for me, Sheila.
  • The link takes me to yahoo groups but says "group not available" Sheila. Would be interested though.
  • Take the full stop out at the end then refresh the page
  • Hi, Sheila - link no worky!
  • Did you take out the full stop ceka?
  • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WomensFictionCritiques

Try that.
  • Sheila, you might like to take a look at the Chapter Seventy Nine website. The site is for all writing genres not just womag but it provides just the kind of feedback you mention. They're accepting new members and it's free to join.
  • Oops, Dora and Pixie are right - it works without the final full stop.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WomensFictionCritiques

In spite of which, the group now has two members!

Phot's Moll, thanks for letting me know about Chapter Seventynine. I don't think I'll join just yet, but I may do in future. It would be really nice to have a British group, so that a) I don't have to explain what dodgems and bum-bags are, b) I don't keep getting my spelling "corrected" and especially c) I'm swapping critiques with people who know the markets I'm aiming at.

I'm not disparaging large, general purpose critique groups, but I'd really love a small, made-to-measure one, and I think it would be friendlier too.

Why not join? You can always leave later if it doesn't work out for you?
  • Just checked the link, and it's working.
    (Obviously I should have done that in the first place.)
  • Hi Sheila, I did look at your group, but it seems I'd have to sign up to Yahoo first - is that right?

btw, Chapter Seventy Nine is a British group - non brits are very welcome, but the majority of members are British.
  • Chapter Seventy Nine is friendlier than one or two others me thinks.
  • Yes, I suppose you would have to join Yahoo, but it's quick and easy.

I have to go and cook dinner now. I'll be back tomorrow.
  • I am a member of Yahoo groups and it is refusing to let me in - says you have to be a member to access but isn't giving me the sign up page. Help! I'd love to be part of it.
  • I would sign up, but I have to go hoover, dust and all things relevant.

Tsk.
  • I did join the group but now I can't get in. I'm told to log in but when I try, 'it' doesn't recognise me.
  • Argh!

I just set the group to "Private" because that's the only way I know of to stop the whole Internet from reading our emails and files. Without it, anything sent for critique would technically be published. The catch is that it means people can only join by invitation. I meant to post about it here, but obviously I didn't. (I think that might have been the loud crash from the kitchen that interrupted me a couple of days ago. Luckily it wasn't serious.)

If anyone wants to join, whisper me your email address and I'll send you an invite.
  • I would love to join and my email address is [email protected] I tried the websites, private, only for members. Just did not work. Was the loud crash in the kitchen due to a cat I wonder, a little hungry and impatient for some food. Talking of which I might get that soon unless I go and give Pushkinia something to eat - she is my half Bengal.
  • The loud crash in the kitchen was a pan of spaghetti hitting the floor. My son got hungry and decided not to wait. Quite a mess, but no real damage, only of course we had to start the spaghetti again.

Woll22 you should have an invite.

Off to cook tonight's dinner before people get desperate.