Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Just received this in an email - take a look

edited July 2010 in - Writing Tales
it makes perfect sense.

"If you liked that, you may like THIS," is what genre packaging and market category says. It's a great way to sell books. And it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, too. If King Stephen sells a quintillion, suddenly Baby Kings crop up like wildfire from all the sparks he threw off. People soon tire of that tone, and on comes another wildfire from another corner. All fair enough, but also what is being complained of. What if jumping on bandwagons and chasing after comets were toned down a bit, and some room elbowed for some completely different stuff? Might even start our own bonfires, huh? A good story well told, entertainingly written, beautifully packaged; that's good stuff. Not tone, or category, or genre, but each good book in and of itself. Judge 'em as you would people.

Comments

• And very true too.
  • anyone???? (other than Carol, that is!)
  • Never judge a book by it's cover ;)

If only it was like that. But we all know, your writing has to 'fit in'.
  • Xactly, Febes, and I'm working on blurring lines between the genres. On the other hand it's perfectly possible to plunge your harpoon deep into the centre of the market and pull off a coup out of nowhere. I know someone who's done just that and is likely to be rolling in the money before long.
  • [quote=dorothyd]A good story well told, entertainingly written, beautifully packaged; that's good stuff.[/quote]

I think this has always been true. Personally I just write stuff - follow the fairy dust and see where it leads me. We all have our own individual way of writing, not always influenced by market forces. You have to write what you know and like. I've always believed that if you try to be something you're not - you will fail miserably or - ultimately - be very unhappy. Anyone agree?
  • definitely!