Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

at a local beauty spot I found...

edited July 2010 in - Resources
Out with my dog yesterday I stopped at Fourwents pond on the edge of Holmewood common. ( Between nowhere and nowhere )

As I pulled up I saw a group of young men and two minibuses. They left shortly afterwards leaving behind only an empty clipboard. I picked it up hoping for a clue as to who had dropped it.
Nothing, just a scrawled note on the reverse which read ;

' I hate this job'

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Hmm. :)

Should have made it into a paper aeroplane, hurtled after them in your car, thrown it into the minibus window and watched their expressions as they unfold it and read your handwriting: "at least you've got one"
  • Maybe they're location-finders for a film company - although I'd have thought that's quite a pleasant job. Unless their boss is hard to please, of course!
  • Mmmm . . .

Sounds like the beginning of a short story. I'll see what I can do!

Thanks.
  • [quote=dora]Should have made it into a paper aeroplane, hurtled after them in your car, thrown it into the minibus window and watched their expressions as they unfold it and read your handwriting: "at least you've got one" [/quote]
    True!
    and yes, it's like the beginning of a short story ...
  • My mums Tickner family lived at Holmwood if you mean Holmwood Surrey?
  • Maybe they'd been on one of those team building days out, there enough to make anyone hate there job
  • That is correct. Holmwood Surrey, south of Dorking. Only discovered the huge common last year despite having worked around the area for years and years. A shame in some respects, but a real treat in others.

If anyone can use this please do. It made me titter. For me little real life moments like this are priceless. Got any?
  • Oo-er, Thaddeus - what if they were villains, looking for suitable places to hide their loot - or a body?
  • [quote=kateyanne]My mums Tickner family lived at Holmwood if you mean Holmwood Surrey? [/quote]

Kateyanne - have you seen how many people called Tickner are on the Free BMD site?!!
  • What does Free BMD meean?

Free Big Man Dave?
  • edited July 2010
    Free Birth, Marriage and Death indexes: http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

A splendiferous resource.
  • It's a great site - records dating back to 1837.
  • Funnily enough, I was using it earlier. It's a great resource.
  • Did you find the people you were looking for, BB?
  • Yes, I needed to order a death certificate and looked up the references.
  • It was the boss's clipboard. He works for the National Parks and Gardens and is in charge of a group of enthusiastic volunteers but none of them have a brain between their ears. So day after day he takes a busload of idiots out on location to sites the NPG intend to reference for future tourism projects and he stands there in the midst of the huddle, clipboard in hand, as they ask him silly questions that he's sure his three year old granddaughter would have more clues about.
    He usually pretends to look interested in what the individuals in the group have to offer but today he'd had enough and wrote, "I hate this job" instead of jotting down the very silly proposal one of his charges came up with.
  • I thought thaddeus had spotted me and my friends in our Red Magic Buses!
  • Hey Stan2, its not a Routemaster is it?

Nice work Island girl.
  • Thaddeus - what IG didn't say was that she was hiding in one of the buses. No wonder she knows all about it!
  • It is a Routemaster with number 84 on the front.
  • What is a Routemaster Stan?
  • Is that like the big red London busses ?
  • Yes - big Red London buses - old and extinct! There is one in Norfolk near Sherringham.
  • My little workshop is on a farm, opposite is a huge hangar of a barn which is full of buses of all ages. There are at least 6 Routemasters in there, so not extinct around these parts.

Now the blokes who own and run these buses are a sitcom waiting to be written. Most of them work as ...wait for it....Bus drivers!

One chap owns one with five other blokes and one all on his own, which uses on his days off, to fill in for the railway companies when the line being worked on.
    Another youngish lad owns the coach which his dad used to drive everyday for his job. As a he boy would spend days off school riding between Eastbourne and London.
    And one man now has the bus that he used to to school on 60 years ago, he takes his grandkids out in it.
  • We have an old red payphone at the pub, i like a bot of nostalgia, things move on too quickly for my liking
  • Tell me about it, that is why I restore old cars. I now find myself having to work on cars which were new models when I started in restoration, today they are regarded as classics. very hard to get my head around some days.
  • I think people these days are in to much of a rush to get the newest of everything, where most times it's the old tried and tested things that are the best.
    Give me classic any day :)
  • Recently I saw an open top red car date 1932, left-hand drive. It was parked outside a pub (I'd not been in there!). So I asked if I could take a photo with the driver and three passengers sitting inside. I think it was American. They seemed pleased! I must check the photo and see what make it is!
  • edited July 2010
    we have regular Classic Car rallies on the island, it is such a treat to see them driving around. One time Terry and I were up on Brading Downs having an ice cream when a Triumph Herald club arrived, all 100 of them, what a sight that was! Love the old cars.

What we commented on at the time was the fact that we could pick out the Heralds from the traffic because they were distinctive, whereas now we have to read the badge on a car to find out what it is, they all look the same.
  • [quote=shellw]Give me classic any day [/quote]

yeah they're okay but no but yeah but no but I prefer the white magnums.
  • Nah I hate white chocolate, give me a classic any day lol
  • I have two rotten old Triumph Herald convertibles outside my workshop, the plan was to get them in over the winter so as to make one good one. Shame the bloke i share with is ill and the shop is rammed with junk, so no-go.

I am guest 'expert' at this years ~Stag owners national at Fontwell park Aug 8, so hundreds of old Stags to natter about.
  • [quote=dora]yeah they're okay but no but yeah but no but I prefer the white magnums. [/quote]

Have you tried the gold magnums? They are scrummy. Second fave though are the white ones - me and my sister love the noise they make when you first bite in to them - not as dramatic as on the adverts but great all the same.
  • Ooooooh Chippy I soooo know that sound.

Scrummy indeed. :)

[quote=thaddeus]so hundreds of old Stags to natter about.[/quote]

Och, that's nae way to carry on, gossiping about your mates behind their backs.
  • I really fancy a Cornetto now!
  • So do I!
  • Here you are, Stan ...

http://www.tete-a-tete.org.uk/Festival08/images/Cornetto-2.jpg
  • Mmm. Magnums are better.
  • Yummy - jumps up and down with excitement.........yummy!