Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

how can you find missing money?

edited August 2010 in - Writing Problems
I have a character who has died and it is suspected that she has put money into bank accounts around the country and has hidden the details of the accounts. How does someone ordinary go about finding this money and how would 'officialdom' go about finding it? If anyone could help me i would be most grateful.

Thanks.

Comments

• You can I know apply to banks and ask if there is an account in someone's name, as that is used in divorce proceedings, but it costs a lot of money, it's cheaper in Scotland...
  • You would need to have the names to get the accounts traced.
    You should find info on the web about tracing dormant accounts.
  • When my Nan died and I knew she had accounts I had to go in to the bank with her death certificate and my passport, once the found the account details they gave me a form to say I was entitled to the money and I had to get my solicitor so sign and stamp it after reading the will to confirm I was entitled to the money.

Hope that helps
  • I am not 100% sure, but I have a bank account which was opened for me as a kid. The person who did it has now died and I can't access it without proof of her death. I guess you would have to prove that she had passed on before doing anything else.
  • Febes you should be able to obtain a copy of their death certificate from the registry office where the death was registered- it helps to know when otherwise they will tell you to contact the GRO. You will need your birth, and marriage certificate too if you've changed your name by them.
  • On that programme 'Heir Hunters' which shows a highly caring [??] pile of companies who are 'helping people' to receive money from estates that is rightly theirs rather than the money going to the state (oh, and don't forget the commission these companies get) they use a weekly list of unclaimed estates announced by the government. Can't remember what it's called off the top of my head but I've definitely got a note of it somewhere so will look it up.
  • That money may also have gone into her estate Febes, and been paid out to her heirs.