Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Antagonist naming problems

edited August 2010 in - Writing Problems
Hi I would like your suggestions please on a suitable name for my main antagonist who can be either male or female as I am going to have one of both at the start of my story, although I am currently trying out some names for my main antagonist.

The story begins in the future in a place called Mystery-ville or something like that then it alters down the present for the moment where it stays until the mastermind reappears, so it jumps from the present to the future as the plot progressess.

Phil.

Comments

• I woudld suggest Trisha for the female one, but that's only because there is someone of that name I'm cross with at the moment!
  • Well you have flexibility in your choice for the future name, and names now are not as traditional as they once were so you could create a name that would fit now but still not sound strange in the future.
    Names really are elemental to your character and only you can decide if it fits their personality and role in your story.
  • Phil, this is YOUR story. You keep asking us for things but really it comes down to the writer. Names come with baggage. I would suggest you buy a baby names book, it gives you all sorts of information on what the names mean which will help you decide which one is right.
  • I don't know much about this sort of thing - but if it was me I'd go for names with sharp syllables rather than shushy ones if that makes any sense.
  • Yes, I agree. Plosive Bs, cutting Ks, hard Ds and Gs, with open vowels like a and u. Avoid soft, melifluous sounds like fl, sw, th, rm, etc. You can make up a name using composites of existing names: Delmarion, for instance, as you would with place names in fantasy novels.
  • for my novel I made up (or thought I did ) a name that I felt was right for my story and then put it in google and found it was the name of a gas that is completely foul smelling perfect for my villian, once you get in to a story I've found the name comes to you. you can always use an ordinary name for now and change it once you find the perfect one. The more of your story you write the more ti comes together.
    I must admit I'd been thinking about writing for years and never got round to the writing part I just kept thinking about it, but sonce joining here and getting the support off everyone I'm writing and it's all coming together better than I'd ever imagined. Once you start your writing everything else will come together
  • [quote=shellw]found it was the name of a gas that is completely foul smelling perfect for my villian[/quote]

Hydrogen Sulphide? Good name!

Perhaps Phil could call his villain Formaldehyde.
  • [quote=dorothyd] I would suggest you buy a baby names book,[/quote] You could use a Online wesite for baby names as well. I'm sure there are plenty on Google.
  • I have been going through a load of old mags, keeping one or two pages from each then chucking the rest. Of course though I have started reading snippets here and there, and noting names of contributors of articles, stories, etc.

Whenever I note an unusual name, eg Christian, Imogen, I've listed it and put it in my list of names in my character library file.

I find going through books quite boring. This is keeping my interest and I am helping with recycling.
  • There are websites for foreign names too.

Some people have very unusual names - one of the Mastermind winners is called Jesse Honey. You'd think his parents would have had more sense - he must have been teased a lot at school.
  • [quote=shellw]you can always use an ordinary name for now and change it once you find the perfect one.[/quote]

Absolutely, Shell. Recently I changed the names of both the best friends of my protagonist, six years since starting the book, because they were both outdated ;) .
  • Funny my main protagonist has changed both his name and his appearance twice now, I think that is why I am having trouble with the novel. My characters usually work out their own name and appearance without my help, so this is not good.

If struggling I tend to use a babyname site or a book of names, I tend to find that the name I use suits the character. But if its causing a sticking issue use whatever and change it later.