Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

book list for uni 2010-2011

edited August 2010 in - Resources
Hey everyone...

Our booklist for some of our modules is up... so same question as last year... does anyone have any of these books they are willing to give/lend/sell to me?

Joyce Carol Oates ed. Telling Stories: An Anthology for Writers. New York: Norton, 1998

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak (picture book)

Skellig by David Almond

The Suitcase Kid by Jacqueline Wilson

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Mr Gum and the Biscuit Millionaire by Andy Stanton

Pig Heart Boy by Malorie Blackman

(also mentioned is Northern Lights but i have that... its holding up a bookshelf along with some other books i don't ever want to see again :D They're covered in a dish towel :D :D )

So if anyone has any of these I would be greatful... I will also be searching local charity shops :)

Comments

• Hope someone can help you out Nutmeg.
  • Amazon marketplace is always a good bet - then you can sell them back when you have finished with them! I got most of my study books that way, then sold them on afterwards.
  • Mcb is spot on. You'll find many of your books for a nominal 1p + postage on Amazon. Can't beat it.
  • Nutmeg
    I have How I live now. Whisper me your address and I'll send it.
  • my mum got skellig today so one to strike off the list :)
  • just putting this onto the first page again.

Thanks again kateyanne

The first book on the list is very expensive, even ln amazon, so if anyone knows of it or has seen it somewhere cheap please let me know
  • That first book is not even available, according to Amazon! How bizarre that they should choose a book that is out of print when a whole class of people will need to find a copy!
  • its strange but i think its only that edition that's not available... coz there's a 1997 edition that's available i think...but how different is it if they want us to get the 1998 edition?!
  • Well if you're having that problem then so will others.
    Can you contact the department and ask, explaining the problem?
  • This is what our tutor says about the book... tee hee... so when it stops raining (hopefully in the next few days) I will be going into charity shops in bath (again) and see if I can found this book for cheaper than £25!

This superlative collection of over a hundred stories ranging from work by Ovid to Margaret Atwood, and covering everything from miniature narratives to dramatic narratives to poems-that-tell-stories, will be the major source of stories your workshop tutor will ask you to read and bring to class. It is available new and used on Amazon.com; used on Amazon.co.uk, 111.alibris.co.uk, and Abe.com, and perhaps elsewhere. The cheapest copies are currently available from £25, with new copies at around £40-£50. But this is the only book you are asked to buy and will be an invaluable source to you for years to come. The task of locating books/stories/sources is an essential skill for all professional writers, so this is your first test. Please bring this book to your first class. If you can read some, most or all the stories in the anthology over the summer you, and write some stories of your own, you will be well positioned to make the most of the module.
  • Or contact the people on the course last year? But even at £40, it's not that expensive if they are only asking you to buy one book... your reading list could be much longer. The Norton Anthologies are HUGE!

The reading list for our daughter doing English at Cardiff was nearly £300 worth of books, each year. She had two Norton Anthologies to get... not that one though!
  • Yeah, 25 quid isn't too bad for a Norton anthology. Make sure you get the 1998 edition though, because the different Norton editions have different stories in them. Not that many different, but if your tutor asked you to read a specific story it may not neccessarily be in the '97 version.
  • apparently one of the girls who has bought the book from amazon say some of the sellers said it was the 1997 edition but when she got it it actually did say 1998... silly amazon...

i'm gonna hope i can find it in some charity shop first :D
  • Don't forget to check out Ebay they do books as well.
  • Also try ABE
  • right got most of them i still needed off ebay :)

just need the Joyce Carol Oates book... fun...
  • Wonder how many will turn up on the first day without or with the wrong edition...
  • we shall see... i don't want to chance it on amazon coz of what one of hte girls said about the editions... there are tons of charity bookshops in bath and i have hte whole day tomorrow... so i'll go have some fun... :D
  • edited August 2010
    If it is such an 'invaluable source for years to come' I wouldn't expect to find a specific edition very easily- hence the reprints.

Good luck with the search.
  • well went charity shopping today and came away with quite a few books... all really random things...

and went to Mr B's... ordered the Telling Stories book and they beat Amazon prices anyday!! especially with my student discount... so i now have or will have all the books i need in time for uni :)
  • Hurray. :)
  • Fab news! What course are you on? Sounds interesting
  • BA Creative Writing at Bath Spa University... awesome course...awesome campus... just amazing...can't wait to start 2nd year... i think it took me a week into my holidays to say that!! I just want to carry on with all the cool stuff :D
  • edited August 2010
    Nutmeg, try www.readitswapit.co.uk you just list a few old books you're willing to swap then you can ask the people that have those books listed. All it costs is the postage.
  • Glad you got your books, Nutmeg. And it sounds like you're enjoying the magic that I felt (all those years ago) when I was at uni. In fact I think I'll start a thread about it. Your course does sound great, and I wish I was doing it too. All that reading and writing - forced writing to deadlines so that you get so much done! Tutorials on your style and what you need to do to improve, all that synthesising and analysis of great texts to extract the form that creates the effect. Wonderful. The only way I could aim for that now, though, would be through a distance course such as OU.
  • Sounds like a fab course Nutmeg!! Glad you are enjoying it! : ) An interesting and varied book list