Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

what layout should i take when emailing submissions?

its for a picture book.
i did read somewhere that when posting submissions you should have the exact number of pages as the book would, with the words on which page you expect them to go and with blank pages for others (copyright details, title page etc).

but when it comes to emailing how should i do this? there is no specs on the website.
do i lay it out as described above and send as an attachment? meaning they would have to roll through loads of blank white space to find some words
should i write it as; page 1/ blah blah blah page 2/ blah blah blah on the actual email page? which would look jumbles, but easier to read
or will it be best to just write it and put each page in its own paragraph without indicating what the breaks are?

or am i completely missing the point here? is there some special way of doing this?

its going go be my first submission and i guess i've gone into a bit of a panic! please please help

Comments

• I would ring them up tomorrow during office hours. They'll be only too glad to go into it with you, Yips.
  • PS. Don't be put off by these people, even if they sound posh over the phone. They're all human. And as far as they know, you may be the next best thing after Helen of Troy. Just have your questions ready.

Good luck.
  • Remember to check what file format they want it in, .Doc, .RTF etc.

And as for how the manuscript should formatted as they haven't stated I reckon they'll want the bog-standard manuscript one. William Shunn's template is the one that I've noticed publishers urge you to check.

http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html

But as Dwight said, there's nowt wrong with getting in touch with the publishers and making sure you format it the way they want. You read horror stories of publishing firing off rejections because of the formatting, or lack thereof, especially as a lot of places have had to cut costs and have limited the amount of time they are willing to spend correcting things.