Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Dotty Pig Comp

edited August 2010 in - Resources
Last month I entered the following poem in Dotty Pig Jewellers Poetry comp. It didn't win but was good fun.

Looks like they'll be running regular comps, although this month's Dotty Pig On Location is a photo comp. Might be worth bookmarking for future though. Prize is a goodie bag of their lovely fun jewellery.

http://dottypig.com/competitions_17.html

DOTTY PIG - TICKLED PINK

Glittering in sequined glory
Polka dots beam round and bright.
Dotty’s got her party frock on.
Out she goes, into the night.

All her friends are playful piggies
Squealing loud and sharing hugs.
Taking seats they compare handbags,
Sipping cocktails served in jugs.

Dancing, dazzle, jewellery flashing
Dotty wows the party crowd.
Legs-akimbo, spinning, twirling.
All her friends applaud, so proud.

Home the girls go to their pillows,
Lovely memories to keep.
Dotty dreams in vibrant colour,
Happy in her beauty sleep.

Comments

• Lovely poem ! Better luck next time, Lucy
  • I just had a look at the winners.

You was robbed!

(I did actually think they were pretty awful - yours is far superior.)
  • I agree, the winners are appalling - maybe you should try LESS hard next time!
  • Aw thanks all. I would like to win some of their jewellery so I'll see what I can do!
  • Yes I agree you was robbed!
    The others are awful. Giantist buttons?
  • Goodness me - whoever did the judging knows nothing of rhythm and metre. I would have voted Lily the winner.
  • It seems odd that someone could win a prize in a Dotty Pig competition when their poem includes the insulting words "pigs are ugly".

Anyway, they're not! They're far nicer looking than some celebrities I could name (but won't)!!

I agree with the others, LilyC - your poem was much better. Whoever did the judging must be mad!
  • Presumably the judge didn't have the faintest idea what good poetry is...
  • I read the winners too. Was it a competition for poems that don't scan? If so, worthy winners.
  • Hi everyone, I am DottyPig. Sorry that you weren't happy with the judging, it was done by some family members to keep it impartial. I will be doing it myself in the future. I have put up a new writing competition for September if anyone would like to have a go :o)

http://dottypig.com/competitions_17.html
  • Hi DottyPig!

I really enjoyed entering (under my real name of Michele Ranger), thank you. I posted my poem over on my blog at http://micheleranger.blogspot.com/2010/08/tickled-pink.html after the comp ended, with a link to your site.

I love your jewellery and I look forward to entering your September comp.
  • Hello dottypig.
  • Boo-hiss, Lily, no one died in it!!!!!!!

Where's the real Lily?? Imposter.
  • Lee, I am a woman of many facets. You know where the real Lily is ;)
  • This alter ego's called Lucy, apparently (see second comment)!
  • The September competition is now on the website - to write the opening paragraph for a Dotty Pig novel. I might give this a go.
  • Lou, I can't keep up with meselves! Being called Lucy on here's quite a regular thing. I have a cousin Lucy, do you think I'm being confused with her?

Seriously though, and I don't want to make any assumptions, but I suspect it's a dyslexia issue because letters transpose themselves which is easily done with LilyC. Can anyone with dyslexia comment?
  • Thanks for the hello's, and thank you for the mention on your blog. I had a look at some of your other work & liked what I read. I look forward to reading your entry into the competition :o)
  • Thanks Dotty Pig! If you saw Lee Hughes' comment above then I probably ought to point out that I'm a horror writer, under the name of Lily Childs - but I can't envision anything nasty happening to Dotty!
  • Don't be silly Lily, of course you can- you just won't write it down, that's all!
  • :) oh ceka, you funny lass.