Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

(writing) update on my books and publisher

edited August 2010 in - Writing Tales
Update:
long discussion with my editor this afternoon. It has been decided to postpone Guy's book for a year, as there is little time now to generate the publicity for a successful book launch in October/November. We 'lost' two months or so in finding a new PR person, they found one, full scale meetings will be going on in the first week of September but it looks promising, very promising. So ... this means 2011 is sewn up for me, with Judas, Henry and Guy all coming out (along with one or two of the six erotic novels I have just sent in) and 2012 starting with Charles I, then Elizabeth and Mary and then, my choice, William Rufus. I have three time sensitive ones for 2013, so I need to get them done and ensure they go out in that year, major anniversaries, 600 years for Henry IV, for a start. PR people need these media hooks.

The new artist is proving his worth, turning out excellent covers for the crime and thriller titles they are also issuing soon. There is talk of a TV company being interested in one of the crime books, that's fantastic for the new author. It also means they had to completely redraft the author's contract as so many new things need to be included, everything from film/TV rights to kindle and everything else in between. Audio and e-books are being discussed with a company in the first week of September. I get the feeling that they are working absolutely flat out on possibilities at the moment which cannot be anything but good for all of us associated with the company.

I discussed all this with the duke this afternoon on our way home (he has been out on the yacht in the sunshine, lucky devil) and we had plenty of time as we were in a traffic jam for all of twenty minutes ... the duke is in overall charge of this series, so everything gets deferred back to him. One of the things my editor wants to do is divert the PR lady to promoting his book everywhere she can, rather than it being 'out there' - and they are hoping to get into Waterstones when September rolls around, they being a difficult company who take NINE MONTHS before they list a title!

It means some pressures are off me with this schedule, which seems to fit well. Can but hope I can sustain the rest of the work.

Comments

• apologies for saying all this twice, albeit differently both times the content is the same. My computer flipped and showed I had lost all the previous posting, so I did it again, only to find, as usual, the computer lied and it really was there. Grr!!!!
  • Well done Dorothy, I'm over the moon for you.
    Your an inspiration to us all xx
  • Yes she is, isn't she, Shell.

Glad things are in place or at worst, getting there, Dorothy.
  • getting there, I think, Dwight. Thanks everyone. The point is, most publishers work 18 months ahead, this one is just getting itself geared up to that kind of schedule. It's OK with me, as long as the books go under contract.
  • It's a long slog but will be worth it. (I'm nearly half way through Death be a pardoner to me and thoroughly enjoying it.)
  • the traffic jam the duke and I shared (see first posting) was created by a three car pile up. No fatalities but someone has severe spinal injuries, I am reliably informed.
  • Over to Odstock, then ...
  • very likely, or Southampton. So many patients end up in Southampton there is virtually a hospital ferry ...
  • Yeah, but when the ICU there has finished with the spinals, they're off to Odstock for their rehabilitation.
  • you're right, of course. I remember Odstock being a quiet little place, apart from the hospital.
  • [quote=ceka]Over to Odstock[/quote]

I had my plastic surgery there.
  • Hello BB!