Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Description

edited August 2010 in - Writing Problems
I was wondering if anyone struggles a bit with description in their writing. I am writing my first draft for my novel and I think I will complete it by Christmas, maybe earlier - hurrah! But I am finding that if I needed to describe a character's house (one where the protagonist is in for instance), I am writing this: (DESCRIBE INTERIOR OF HOUSE). So that I can fill those bits in later. I think I will try and use some of the senses and be in the POV character too, when I go back to those sections. Just wondering how everyone else deals with this side of writing. Do you find it easy to describe?

Comments

• Description mostly comes through what the characters see and say, to convey atmosphere and place. There is a book on Description only, in the Robinson series, that includes Viewpoint and Revision actually, the series that is, well worth having.
  • Yes! My stories tend to read like scripts. Sometimes, when I've added description later, it sticks out like a sore thumb.
  • [quote=Helen]I think I will try and use some of the senses and be in the POV character too, when I go back to those sections.[/quote]

I think you're definitely in the right area here, Helen, so that there doesn't appear to be any interruption in the VP character's story.
  • What I like to do is "remember" incidents in childhood or young adulthood.
    The picture that mum painted and little Johnny spilt his cornflakes on.
    The threadbare carpet on the stairs and how you remember when dad first fitted it, with those little brass anchors on the sides.
    The smudge on the kitchen wall where the tin of beans exploded that your brother was trying to heat up for you without having opened it.
    The way the sun pours through the front room window, causing a strip of bright light to cross the carpet, making an ideal runway for your model planes.
    I build in smell and taste as well.

Does anyone else have that experience of tasting something that reminds you of a certain smell, or vice-versa?
  • Yes, i agree, Gully. Taste and smell are very close, probably sharing nerve endings in the taste bud area. And I wonder if you can recollect smells from childhood. I suspect my childhood is a lot further back from yours, but I can recall the smell of my grandmother's bedroom, an area where young grandsons were not allowed to go. It must have been a mixture of sandalwood and mothballs, but I liked it and associated it with childhood happiness, the world of fairystories and other happy memories like the run up to Christmas.
  • They say smell is the most evocative of all of them.
  • When I try to describe something, I throw everything I know in to it, then cut it back to the important bits.
  • I enjoy writing descriptions - which makes sense considering my main interest is in travel writing.
    Gully's examples are great; they show how to think outside the box of cliched 'description'.
    I also like to use similies and metaphors to paint a visual picture, e.g. mountains capped with snow like crumpled bed linen - instead of just 'snow-capped mountains'.
    And - yes - definitely use all the senses to describe a scene.
  • one of my dearest friends (a medium) had the most wonderful way with words from the platform. He told a member of the congregation once that he was good-looking, not like himself, who had a face like a crumpled crisp packet. I thought that was an amazing metaphor!
  • Helen- to me your method comes across as mental Laziness. You should get out of this habit as quickly as you can. That's just my thought and I accept it could be wrong but I'll say it anyway. A part of your mind is saying that it can't be bothered with description because it is too hard- you have to overcome this feeling. I never put in my first draft (descibe house interior or what ever) I make an attempt at it, good or bad.
  • I find it hard too, Helen, and my descriptions are all very sparse. For my latest manuscript I used google image to find scenes that looked like the places I wanted to describe (ie a boarding school) and that did help. I don't think there's anything wrong with putting the description in later - after all, it's only a first draft. No one's going to see it but you!
  • Thanks everyone! This is very useful. I loved what you wrote, Gully, and also Dwight's recollections. :-) I liked Claudia's description of the mountains, and the metaphor that Dorothy's friend used. Vijay, I know what you mean, but I think at this stage I am just very eager to get my first draft written. I am not wanting to look back and become stalled. I do find description a bit difficult, and I know I will spend quite awhile on it, which will slow me down. So I am making notes as I am writing, in order to plough on ahead and get the first draft written. I guess it depends on a person's style. I am sure I will be very happy to hold a complete first draft of my novel, and then be prepared to edit and revise and add in bits.

Thanks Lou Treleaven, that's a good idea. I will bear that in mind.
    Thanks again, everyone. :-)
  • edited August 2010
    I know that feeling, Helen, where you're on a writing surge and are unwilling to hit a wall of 'difficult' description in case your flow breaks down altogether. But I have to agree with Vijay. Even if I am burning a path of fevered writing and the muse is totally one me, I always plough straight on through the difficult bits and get something down. No need to concentrate hard and come up with that perfect simile or balance the tone with pace, etc. That comes in the edit.
  • A recent article said that scientists have said that that the perception of smell is in the same area of the brain as memory, so that is why we often associate the two.
  • There is no rule that says you must write your story in any order. It's perfectly alright to leave out bits as you go along - for one thing you may need time to let your subconscious ferment and come up with some interesting details. The first draft is only a skeleton you can work on so it doesn't really matter so long as you do go back later and rework it.
  • Hi Helen, how do you get a first draft written with large sections of descriptions missing?
    Maybe I understand the meaning of a First draft differently and you are really talking more about an outline/skeleton in which case your method is fine.
    For me a first draft is a full working novel with dialogue, story and descriptions, plus many other factors.

People always say there 'are no rules' FT, but im not convinced by that argument. There are rules that make life easier for a writer and there are rules that make it very difficult- which will result in many wasted months and years.
  • What works for you may not work for everyone, Vijay. I don't think it's very helpful to call someone lazy just because they have a different approach.
  • I'm with you ft on this one. I often put in tags to come back to, not out of laziness but because I'm following a line of thought I don't want to break off from.
  • I didn't call Helen lazy, wouldn't dream of it.
    It is the approach/method. And writers are lazy in many different ways and I include my self in that. And how do you know my comments were not helpful?
    If Helen disagrees fine, I accept it.
  • It isn't lazy to write a rough first draft and then go back and rework. Quite the contrary, many novels are never finished because the writer loses inspiration and narrative drive by getting stuck on the details.

Writing is an art form. There are no right or wrong ways of working, it is up to each individual writer to find their own way.
  • I went to a course last year, given by a many-times published author, who advised us to just keep going when we got stuck on details. He said to just put XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX where we needed to go back to something and carry on with whatever WAS working. I've done it a few times since and it really does help. I can't forget to go back with the line of crosses jumping out at me, but often I find that what flummoxed me one day is easy the next.
  • Thanks everyone! Vijay, don't worry, I know you are not calling me lazy. :-) You are probably speaking in general terms, as some writers do procrastinate. If that is what you mean. :-) I think I do work in a similar way to Flyingtart, SusieM, and Nena. I think that all writers work in different ways, and as long as we get the story written, that is the main thing. It's great that you can write a first draft complete with descriptions etc, Vijay. We are experimenting all the time, maybe next time my method will be rather different. :-) I do agree with Flyingtart, that what works for one writer may not work for another writer.
  • I took four years in all to write Guy Fawkes book, he not being the best communicator I have had. When I finally sent the 80,000 words to my editor, he came back to me with a list, could you ask Guy to tell us more about the journey from York to London, what the stagecoach was like, what the inns were like, what the countryside was like, then can you get him to talk about Cowdray Hall, furnishings, lighting, etc. and it went on like that. We added a further 30000 words when we were through, eventually! Oh yes, could he have details of Guy's military training in Flanders as well.

With Judas' book he asked for only one or two pieces of description he felt the reader would need. I am very aware that when we get to Jacquetta Woodville, the list will be quite long as I know there are sections he will want more. So, I too tend to channel the 'storyline', the life, straight into the computer and then when it has been assessed by someone else, my exceptional editor, go over it again and add the 'missing bits'. It makes no difference to the final product provided it is seamless and I am told it is.

Sometimes the need to get the story told is more important than stopping to fill in the detail. Sometimes I see this before the book goes anywhere - I stopped the current author in his tracks yesterday and told him that
    'I came out of the war period with a chest full of medals'
    was not really enough and I would want a bit more than that, even if this book is entirely feelings rather than facts ...

Helen, work the way which suits YOU. Otherwise you could lose the flow of the story. But, don't make a big thing out of needing to describe and giving your reader half a page, slide it in through the words and actions, as you said, so it doesn't feel or read like padding, but is natural.
  • Certainly different methods work for different people, and it's clear from some of these posts that people also interpret 'first draft' very differently. I happen to agree with Vijay's interpretation of what a first draft constitutes - which doesn't make us right or anyone else wrong!
    Vijay was simply expressing his views and Helen understood that; there was really no need for anyone to try to pick a fight with him.
  • Dear friends, there is no real fight as far as I'm concerned.
    Helen wish you all the best with your book!

FT- i can see what you are saying and many people say it but...

I just don't agree with there is no right or wrong way of working- when it comes to writing/art.

In every other field of life, THERE is a right and wrong way of doing a job! Just because we become 'artists' doesn't excuse this. And too many aspiring writers lose way too much time, whats that big word- procrastinating! or waiting for inspiration when all they have to do is get their butt down on a chair and keep it there like any other proper job. I am convinced they'll produce more this way than waiting around for the creative muse.
    thanks Claudia.
  • [quote=Vijay]waiting for inspiration when all they have to do is get their butt down on a chair and keep it there like any other proper job.[/quote]

Now, if we were to take me as an example to that statement, I'd have to disagree. I could write right now. But I can't because there is nothing in me to write. I have just spent two months writing over 30,000 words on various projects, mostly my two novels. Now I need to wait again until that inspiration hits me again.

[quote=Vijay]I am convinced they'll produce more this way than waiting around for the creative muse.[/quote]

Again, I'd have to disagree. Writing should never be forced out of you. It just doesn't work like that. I'm currently reading at the moment, which is a rare thing in itself, because I cannot write, for the said reason above. If I was to try and write some more of my novel, I might be able to do it, but not for long. Certainly not until I've punched out 3,000 words. I NEED to wait for that creative muse before I can do anything as I write in spurts. It's a Gemini thing.

I do agree with FT, and with writing, there is no right or wrong way. It isn't maths! We work how we all work, and whether we get the final product out fast or not doesn't matter either. So long as you're happy in the way you fulfill your writing career then that's all that matters. For me anyway.

As for writing description, it takes me several attempts to get it right in a short story. So for my novel, it will probably take twice as long, because I simply cannot write everything in one go. I'm 16, not a genius. But I don't leave (Add descriptions here) because for me that is messy. You either write it now or not for me. But then again, I don't work to time limits. Because if I did, I would most probably fail them. Deadlines are for essays and assignments, not for my creative writing.

Now, this is one of my longest posts, so it probably doesn't make a lot of sense, so I apologise for that.
  • [quote=Vijay]And too many aspiring writers lose way too much time, whats that big word- procrastinating! or waiting for inspiration when all they have to do is get their butt down on a chair and keep it there like any other proper job. I am convinced they'll produce more this way than waiting around for the creative muse.[/quote]

You're moving the goalposts, Vijay. This thread isn't about procrastination, it's about description. But since you bring it up,
    I agree with you that writers should have the discipline to keep writing. As for what they write and when they write it, we are not machines. Much of our best work comes from unconscious levels which will not be forced. So, is it not better to move onto the next part of the story and keep the momentum? It is better to write something - anything - rather than stare at a screen trying to write a passage of description when the heart isn't in it.
  • if I could revert to Guy's book for a moment for an example, he became bogged down so we skipped 3/4 of his lifetime and wrote his torture and execution scenes. Once they were in the computer, safe, stored, he could go back and fill in the rest. Sometimes you have to do that.

And, I never push an author, either. They write or they don't. That's why his book took four years and so did Charles Stuart's book, while I wrote with others who could communicate at a much faster rate.
  • Thanks for the tip, Dorothy.
  • FT I wasn't moving the goal posts, just responding to your sentence- There is no right or wrong way of working. This is a LIE. (im not calling you a liar by the way- just the sentence. I never agreed with it) and we can agree to disagree.

Here are some of the wrong ways of working in your writing life.
    -Don't read good writers.
    -Don't write regularly.
    -Thrown in as many adjectives as you can.
    -Forget spelling and grammar.
    -Don't worry about plot or character.
    -When writing to agents, bore them with long inquiry letters and boring first chapters.
    -Ignore all the great writers who have given valueable advice on how to get published.
  • Vijay, see my 'how we write' thread as this how we write is coming up here and there.

There is no right or wrong way of working is not a lie, it is a statement of fact. The 'ways not to write' you mention don't include whether or not to write description as you go or write later, does it??? There is no right or wrong way, every writer works in their own way at their own pace and, if they don't write, they don't sell. Simple, is it not? We all know that!
  • Going on from Helen's original post, when I write a story/novel, I write what comes to me first. First drafts are always rudimentary pieces, the bare bones of the story. Then, in the 2nd draft editing stage I go over the piece. I will know whether or not a passage needs more description or less, because sometimes writers have a tendancy to over-describe. Sometimes I may write something along the lines of 'MORE HERE' which generally prompts me to add more narrative/decription/dialogue which can be added in the 3rd draft and so on, until I'm satisfied.

Dorothy is right, and I'm sure most writers will agree, there is no fundemental write or wrong about how you write. It's WHAT is written that matters. It doesn't matter whether you start at the end, the middle or the beginning, or whether it's first person or third person POV, whether you add MORE HERE or MORE THERE across the MS in big red letters and write descriptions afterward, it doesn't matter if it takes you five minutes to write or 10 years, it's the end result which is key, and we all arrive at this same point, in our own way.
  • Red, Dorothy and FT, I will have a big think about what you have said- maybe I'm just looking at it from a different angle and thats why I like such debates sometimes, so that my own thinking is challenged. Thanks for your contributions. Red your voice is so calm, that i just can't argue further ;-)
  • I think I can see your point, Vijay, and hey, don't let these folks browbeat you into easy submission. I take you to have meant in your post higher up that the BEST way to write (as opposed to the right way) is almost certainly to complete the task from inspiration to final draft by the shortest route possible, insofar as that can be determined by hard, concentrated work. Hard work making up for supposed 'inspiration on good days'.

And I agree.
  • Dwight, 'hard work' does not compensate for lack of inspiration. You end up with a dry-as-dust book which no one wants. Been there ... dull articles, bashed out because of the need to earn money bounced back. Articles written with verve style and most of all inspiration, earned ££s. Be diligent in all things, yes, determined to write every day, yes, but when there is no inspiration. revise instead of pushing on with something that will not be worth reading by anyone. Agree?
  • browbeat moi, that'll be the day. i have only agreed to disagree for the time being, otherwise there is no end.
    i might comment on your other thread, not sure the editor has given you the best advice with your writing. i will read it again.
  • Bringing back up to the top on the point of 'waiting for inspiration'. I was re-reading my notes on Margaret Lucke's book Writing Great Short Stories and found this, which I think I copied in her words:

15. A common error would-be writers make is to hang back and wait for inspiration to strike. But writing is nine-tenths perspiration. The fact is, inspiration is most likely to tap you on the shoulder when you are actively involved in the writing process.

Hope that helps.
  • Hmm interesting Dwight. But I think I am an exception to all rules. I need inspiration to write. Once that hits me, who knows how long my spurt will last?
  • As I once wrote in an aricle about motivation/inspiration, the process of writing involves getting an idea and writing, not writing to force an idea into existence. That's like squeezing toothpaste through a needle. There is no doubt inspiration surrounds us, but one has to translate inspiration into motivation into writing. Don't write if you're not inspired. It doesn't work.
  • I can understand that, Red, and Pixie, but are you ignoring the second half of what ML says: the fact is, etc.?
  • No Dwight. Inspiration only happens when I am READY for it. As I said, I am an exception to the rule. If I did follow that rule, I would have never had anything finished or written, because I'd have this that and the other written.

But; I am always in the active writing process. My mind never shuts up. But I'm not writing all the time because I cannot physically do it. I can't write or get inspiration when I my brain says: no, no more.
  • [quote= Dwight]are you ignoring the second half of what ML says: the fact is, etc.? [/quote]

Nope. You can't write if you aint inspired in the first place, therfore you can't expel that perspiration, can you? Inspiration can come when you're writing, yes, but getting to that point in the first place brings us back to inspiration/motivation (or lack) of and how the process evolves.
  • Dwight I agree with that rule. Writing to me is 9/10's perspiration. Inspiration is overplayed.
    Yes you need the initial idea/inspiration for your novel obviously but if you don't write regularly you wont get much done.
    If you wait around to be just inspired and write in small spurts my guess is that you'll take a very long time to finish a book. If you want to work that way, fine.

But working in a very slow method increases the chances of disillusionment with your novel.and all the other negative doubts.
  • Vijay, when you're a 16 year old student trying to get qualifications to get a career into science, and still in full time education, you'll take any writing time you get. For me, it's not about deadlines. I don't care if I take the best part of my life plodding on with my novel. It's not a race. For me I'm still learning the ropes.

If I want to take my time to write in spurts I will. But I can't force myself to write when my brain seizes up and goes NO in very big letters. I simply do not work like that, and I refuse to be told to work in a certain way. I don't really care if a book tells me this or that. They're not doing the writing, are they? I am doing the writing, and at the moment, I'm doing the writing for ME. To see if I can reach the end of the first draft with a novel count of over 70,000. How long it takes to get there really doesn't bother me.

Also, can I just ask, what do you succeed in writing a novel in a short amount of time anyway? Baffles me.
  • This thread seems to have gone off topic. We were originally discussing whether to skip passages of description in favour of pressing on with the story, not whether to sit around and wait for inspiration. I agree with the ML quote above, for the reason that, as Vijay says, writing IS 90% perspiration. But you're far more likely to stall if you try to force yourself to write a passage you're not in the mood for. Much better to drive on with the story and go back later.

Writing a novel is a huge and very personal endeavour so it seems to me there are as many different approaches to it as there are authors under the sun. That is what I meant be 'no right or wrong way'. It doesn't matter if I get to my destination by car, bus or pogo stick, just so long as I get there.
  • I agree with Flyingtart that this thread has gone off topic. :-) My view is that we are all different people and some of us will write in the same way, and some of us will not. It's like how some writers have to plan from beginning to end and have a rough plot outline, and there are some writers who prefer to write what comes to them and enjoy the uncertainty of how their novel will end. It all depends on the person. There may be different ways in plotting a story too,depending on the genre. I know that the writer of 'Psycho' plotted the novel from the end through to the beginning. Some people can write better in the morning, some late at night. We are all different. It doesn't matter if somebody wants to wait for inspiration, just like it doesn't matter if somebody wants to force themselves to write in order to be inspired. We all have our own way.
  • When I write I also find description hard, dialogue I am fine with. So when I write the descriptive bits I try and write a few sentences then go back later. Sometimes I feel that I have not got the inspiration to write the said description and then when I am out walking or doing something different it will hit me how to write it and I can go back and fill in the description but I need to be thinking about it all the time for it to come to me. It's a bit like that with poems too.
  • Hi kateyanne, that's true - I find that if I am thinking about something all the time it does help a lot. It's difficult when I am at work though. :-) I find it helps when I think about it first thing in the morning too when I'm getting ready for work.
  • Quite honestly, I think it is time that this thread died a quick death.
    Helen's original question has been answered and thanks were issued.

We should leave it at that.

There is absolutely no reason WHATSOEVER for anyone to get heated up about how anyone works.
    (Unless you are a publisher and your author is not delivering the goods in time for a million-dollar deadline.)

Please, writer's, let us drop this subject.
  • edited August 2010
    I think that sticking in a note to remind yourself to add description (or anything else) is a good idea if it helps you continue with the first draft. I do it if I need to research something or I'm finding a section difficult. A lot of first draft scenes probably won't make it into the finished book or will be altered out of all recognition, so why spend hours struggling over them in the early stages?

As for description, I wouldn't describe a whole house or room, just pick out a few important details. Once you've written the first draft you'll have a better idea of which details are important.