Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

First article

edited August 2010 in - Writing Tales
What was your first article to be published?

Mine was about searching algorithms in Dragon User (a computer magazine) way back in 1986, but after one in the same mag the following year I didn't write again for ten years, and then only for a special interest magazine. It's only in the last few years that I've gotten serious about article writing.

Comments

• Mine was for The Brownie and was about mazes and labyrinths. I wrote a couple of articles for them but realise I have not approached them with new ideas for years. Seem always to be looking for new outlets.
  • not entirely sure when my first article appeared, I didn't date it. I had two articles in two different magazines about the green man, then an article in WM about being a writer. Had to be around 1988 ish. I think.
  • My earliest writing for public consumption was when I was producing school plays. My job included writing the programme booklet from beginning to end, including the article for the Headmaster.
  • Mine was a spin-off from my first book. I'd been sent the page proofs and asked to check them and supply an index - all within a fortnight, one week of which I was on holiday.
    I devised a method of indexing using Locospell (this was on an old Amstrad) and, very pleased with how it worked I wrote a short article which appeared in PCWPlus magazine. The trouble was
    my publisher then added extra pages at the beginning and altered all page numbers throughout - completely b*gg*ring up my index in the process before my article appeared in print. Hey-ho.
  • My first article was in The Lady, at Christmas 1999. It was about frost fairs and general cold weather, with a couple of Christmas quotes.

pp x
  • My first article was a historical piece in a local upmarket magazine in 1989, focusing on the birthplace of industry.
  • My first article was in 2004. It appeared in our local paper The Herald. It was about Sir Charles Lock Eastlake a Plymouth born artist. Prior to this I had two or three letters published in newspapers.
  • 2007 I think, a writer friend took over a defunct website domain for a Notts based webzine, and for a year I wrote articles, and did gift buying guides at Christmas, Valentines Day.
  • I had a short series of articles on herbalism, 'Lily's Magickal Apothecary' in Children of the Earth, a quarterly mag that ran in France in the 1990s.
  • My first article: African Tigers, was actually a travel essay published in 2003. I went on to write over 30 travel articles for the same publication.
  • My first article was a memory piece in Yours magazine published in 2007. I wrote about Yuri Gagarin, first man in space, the Russian Exhibition and seeing Beyond the Fringe (staring Alan Bennet, Peter Cook, Dudley More and Johnathon Miller) with a boy I met at the exhibition. Oh the joys of being 16 in the sixties.
  • Mine was in Writers Forum in Dec 2003, about creating ideas for stories, based on a workshop I had successfully run at Caerleon Writers Holiday. Until then, I had only ever had fiction or poems published.
  • Mine was a piece about an hymn writer Anne Steele in 1988 in the magazine which I now edit. From little acorns...
  • Mine was when I was 16 in the local paper - a piece on a Methodist Association of Youth Clubs weekend.