Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Alan Sillitoe Day: October 2

edited September 2010 in - Resources
For anyone who is interested in celebrating the work of Alan Sillitoe this is a day long series of events being held in Nottingham. The literary community in the county having been working together to arrange this celebration of Alan's life, and to raise money toward a statue and future events...

Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not.”
Celebrating the life of Alan Sillitoe
11.00am-5.00pm Saturday 2nd October
Nottingham City Council House, Market Square, Nottingham
Day ticket: £5 from The Bookcase in Lowdham (Box Office 0115 9663219) or, subject to availability, on the door.
Tickets cover all or part of the day.
Proceeds towards future Alan Sillitoe events and to the Alan Sillitoe statue fund
“Alan Sillitoe was almost single handedly responsible for a shift in the way working class characters found themselves represented in literature” DJ Taylor
Sessions on Alan's poetry, his films, his children's writing. Readings from Alan's work, together with that of other writers from Nottingham's working class. Sessions on mapping the City through Alan's books and on the regional novel. Music inspired by Alan's work. We launch an Alan Sillitoe short story competition and the new Castle Rock ale, specially brewed for the occasion.
Guest speakers include Gwen Grant, John Harvey, David Sillitoe (Alan's son), DJ Taylor and many more
West Bridgford Library has its own event on 1st October... we launch the appeal fund for the Alan Sillitoe statue...
Full programme on www.sillitoe.com

"All I want is a good time, everything else is propaganda"

(Please pass this information on to anyone- or groups who may be interested. Thanks)