Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The Far Pavillions or Jewel in the crown?

edited September 2010 in - Writing Problems
I was just talking to my Indian neighbour about a series I saw on TV in the 80's I think it was. In it an Indian woman is going to follow her dead husband onto the funeral pyre, a custom which I believe happened in the past, although my Indian neighbour had never heard of it.
I wanted to tell her about the book title, but am not sure which of the two mentioned above it occurs in? Can anyone help?

Comments

• Not sure about Jewel, but there is certainly the intention to burn the heroine-Suttee-on her husband's funeral pyre in The Far Pavillions.
  • I don't think it's in Jewel. When Susan has her breakdown, she tries to burn her baby on the fire; but as far as I remember, that's all.

Great book! It's on my list for a re read. Not read The Far Pavillions though but might put that on the list too.
  • It's definitely in The Far Pavilions. I loved it, and they made a really good film of it about (coughs) about erm, 20 years or more ago ...
  • The book was much better than the film for TV. The book is on the top shelf of one of my bookcases along with her others...
    I have read all of MM Kaye's books- except the biography of her.
    One of my sons got his name from a character in one of her books. :)
  • Another lovely book set in India is 'East of the Sun' by Julia Gregson - we did it at our reading group