Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Having difficulty with an idea

edited September 2010 in - Writing Problems
I have had a break from writing but now intend to enter a short story competition. I have been given the beginning of the story but am finding it very hard to think of an idea to complete it.
Do you find it better to leave your writing aside for a few days until a good idea pops into your head? Would that be the advice you would give?
Alana

Comments

• I'd think about it for a while and consider different possibilities, but if something doesn't gel then it wouln't work for me- I couldn't produce a good enough story.
    But I do know a lot of TB's would go with an opposite view that they would find something that fits it. :)
  • [quote=Alana]I have been given the beginning of the story but am finding it very hard to think of an idea [/quote]
    I get stuck in the very same way. At the moment I can't write to order, like that. I think it comes from experience, as you build up a library of ideas. I have abandoned short stories for the same reason. Good luck though.
  • Why dont you try the word game, write down a load of random words to do with your story for instance if its a murder tale , villian , detective , motive, place , who what where and why, out come. Break it all up into small sections and ideas, then try putting some or all of them together. I t might help to stimulate the brain waves.
  • It often helps to do something unconnected with writing - eg go for a walk, wash up, talk to someone - because ideas (being contrary entities!) like to arrive when you aren't sitting in front of the computer!
  • Thank you everyone.
    I gave myself a break, not thinking about the problem. Then a good idea popped into my head and I have managed to set the story. I now just have to write and edit it. I will be pleased enough to at least make the entry!!!
  • Glad the muse came through eventually.
  • Here is a tip, look at the subject matter, think of the location, sights, smells sounds etc then see if anything gels from that. This is something that Ross Gilfillan, our tutor showed us what to do. Do you collect post cards, that sometimes gives you a jerk. Good luck, I might have a go myself at something, probably will, a good way to finally clear the butter from my brain cells.
  • [quote=Jenny]It often helps to do something unconnected with writing - eg go for a walk, wash up, talk to someone - because ideas (being contrary entities!) like to arrive when you aren't sitting in front of the computer! [/quote]

That is so right Jenny. Ideas never arrive for me when I am sitting in front of a computer.
  • I get a lot of my ideas when out cycling. The physical activity is very relaxing, helps you empty your mind of day-to-day problems and allows the creative buds to flourish. Doesn't have to be cycling, any mind emptying physical pass-time will do
  • It's probably because sometimes inspiration likes being contrary. Disappears when you need it and turns up when you're not in a position to use it!
  • THANK YOU EVERYONE!
    I relaxed over a few days before a good idea popped into my head. I wrote the story, edited it several times and then posted it away for the competition. I am still waiting to hear the results but even if I don't win a prize I am pleased enough to have entered it.
    Alana
  • good one, Alana, if it doesn't win (fingers xxd for you) the story will be there to send somewhere else.