Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

HELP - WHERE DO I START??

edited September 2010 in - Writing Problems
Hi Everyone,
I've been a member on here for a while and have posted a few things previously, but I have a big problem and would really appreciate some advice.
I decided about a month ago that I would dedicate much more of my time to my writing - the problem is I don't know where to start. I am three quarters of the way through my first 'bash' at a novel, I have also signed up for the Writers Bureau course, which i've had for three years and only completed two assignments. I have a few issues of Writers' News/Magazine to catch up on, plus various 'how to write' books to read and god knows how many novels.
So I sit at my desk and look at everything in front of me - then panic over what to do first, so invariably end up doing absolutely nothing, apart from surfing the internet. Then I get angry because with myself because I haven't done anything and I have to go to work, or whatever.
I don't know why this is happening to me because I really do want to write.
Any advice would be welcome, especially if you have experienced anything like this. Thanks, Skip

Comments

• Hi Skip, welcome to Talkback. How about sorting through what's on your desk first? Have a good clean out. It might help you decide what to work on. I know when my desk is tidy, my mind is not so distracted.
  • Skip, you sound like me - but a few years back.

Prioritise your goals and see what it's important.

Not sure about that course, you might have missed their deadline. Ring and find out rather than waste energy on it.

Can't help with the internet - most of us get snared on that one!
  • Hi guys,

Thank you for the advice - I will sort out my desk and try to prioritise.
    I am still in the deadline of the writers' Bureau course - I already checked. The 2-year time limit was set after I signed up for the course.

OK - i'm off to sort my desk! Thanks again
  • Possibly decide what can be done quickly, and do that.

And what is urgent - do that, too.

Then what you really want to do/feel like doing.

Jot any ideas down in a notebook.

Spend a certain length of time, e.g. half an hour, doing something; or set yourself a target of a certain amount of words, e.g. one hundred (or more, if think you can manage it).

Best of luck!
  • As well as taking the great advice above you could use a program like Rescue Time, or something like The Pomodoro Technique to manage your writing time if you need help doing so. Or even organising your own a GTD system. This can be done quite simply with a Moleskine and a few Post-It flags.

https://www.rescuetime.com

http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/

http://www.43folders.com/2004/09/08/getting-started-with-getting-things-done

I think you'll find that procrastination is a widespread problem with creative people and the best way to combat it is to change your habits and thinking. Remember for instance that writing time isn't just sitting at a keyboard typing but can be planning, research and the greatest part, thinking. I you have a 'How to' book you want to read then instead of logging on to the net read a chapter. As a reward you could then spend 15 mins on the computer. This kind of reward/work balance is covered in the Pomodoro Technique I mentioned above. It can be used to organise your whole life. This is something which I think most creative people don't think about but is important. Because making time to create is about making sure the dishes are going to be washed, the dinner cooked and the children picked up from school as much as actually putting words into Word.

Clear your desk, your mind, your schedule and write.

Oh and don't be so hard on yourself. You are three quarters of the way through a novel which is a great achievement and shows you know how to knuckle down.
  • Thank you Jay,

I do have an ideas notebook, and I take your point about setting achievable goals.
    Skip
  • Hi SilentTony,

Thank you for your advice - and for taking the time and trouble to answer so thoroughly.

I will be checking out those websites - they sound just what I might be looking for. I understand about the reward/work balance - it makes sense.

I'll let you know how I get on.
    Skip
  • http://www.writersnews.co.uk/writers_talkback/comments.php?DiscussionID=133062&page=1#Item_35

That's a thread I started about goals. Might help, might just be another piece of internet junk to divert you!
  • Can't add any more to what has already been said. Hope it all helps.
    And as Jay always mentions the OWC on here every month, it is something short and achievable you can do in the meantime. :)
  • Hi Baggy Books,

I have just read through your thread and the responses - I found it very helpful.

You have some great ideas there - and I can honestly say that i will be trying out your technique.

I read a lot of life-coaching/positive thinking books, so I know exactly where your coming from - i'd just never seen it from a writers point of view before.

Thank you,
    Skip
  • determination, Skip, is everything. Aim for 100 words a day and see how quickly that 100 grows to 500 and then 1000. Get on with the course, too, create deadlines for yourself, 'I will send the next assignment in by ...' and so on. That helps.
  • Sounds like you have reached a wall in your novel. But you are so nearly there! I think if you could finish the draft it would give you the boost you need. Try to think what's stalling you. Is there a plot problem? Do the characters need beefing up? How about getting a list of publishers or agents ready and pinning it up to give you something to aim for. This should be an exciting time as you near your goal so give it some welly!
  • Skip, check out my Progress Report thread, where I get people to check in to tell me and others how much writing they have done. It helps to be prodded along.
  • What genre's your novel, by the way?
  • [quote=Skip]I really do want to write. [/quote]

I think you should start there Skip.

First: define for yourself what it is YOU want to write. Is it your novel, is the assignments for the course, what is it?

Second: decide how much time, and what time, you have per week for writing, and be at your writing place at that time.

Third: decide what you intend to write in that allocated time, eg character info, chapter plan, whatever.

Fourth: write.
  • Hi Jay,

My novel is a crime/mystery. I started a novel writing course with Writers' News some years ago and once I completed it I did an extension course, then another...now i'm on my third extension course. My tutor is fantastic and has really helped me get to where I am so far - 16 chapters completed out of 20 and over 55,000 words. If it wasn't for my tutor I would probably have given up long ago, I really can't praise him enough. I feel I owe it to him to complete my novel.

Lynn
  • I'd like to say a big thank you to all of you for your comments and advice. I feel so much better and much more positive about my writing after reading all the posts.

All of you said very positive things and I will take on board everything that has been suggested.

Skip (Lynn)
  • Keep in touch, Lynn - especially if you need more encouragement!
  • Hi Jenny,

Thank you - I will definitely stay in touch. I felt so upbeat after reading all the posts yesterday.
    I did some research yesterday and set myself some goals which I fully intend to achieve.

Lynn
  • Lynn, I'll add you to the Writing Progress thread., Check in, tell us how you are doing, it helps. Believe me it does!
  • [quote=dorothyd]I'll add you to the Writing Progress thread[/quote]
    can you add me as well please dorothyd? Sometimes I need a nudge.
  • Skip, you might find "Novel Ideas" on page 47 of November's Writing Magazine of interest.
  • PBW, of course! I thought you were doing well ...
  • Hi dorothyd,

Thank you for that - I appreciate it.

Lynn
  • Hi Jay,

I just read it - it is very useful, thanks for pointing it out - i'm still on October's issue!

Skip
  • [quote=dorothyd]PBW, of course! I thought you were doing well ... [/quote]

I am mostly but I run out of steam like everyone else. I'm a sprinter then off for a kip kind of person - a hare rather than a tortoise (never wanted one of those hideous shells anyway). At the mo I'm struck down by sinusitis.
  • [quote=SilentTony]Clear your desk, your mind, your schedule and write. [/quote]
    You always talk a lot of sense. The clear desk phenomenon works for me. I can't work if I have to dig through a pile of papers to find the keyboard.
  • [quote=Skip]then panic over what to do first[/quote]

Life is short, Skip. I've spent all of my life (till now) doing what everyone else wanted and now I put my agenda first. So I would say to you, when you sit down to write, whatever topic or assignment appeals to you the most at that moment, that is, whatever is inspiring you, start with that. The rest follows and the difficult bits fill themselves in.
  • Hi Skip!
  • Hi Guys,

Thank you for yet more useful comments/advice, i'm really glad I posted that message and am grateful for the support.

paperbackwriter - I have also spent my life doing what everyone else wanted and it is very hard to change that mindset and grab a little bit of precious time for 'me'. We all have different circumstances to deal with in our lives, I guess its how you cope with it is what matters.

Skip