Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Word counts for children's fiction

edited October 2010 in - Resources
I have just put together a list of word counts for different age groups for children's fiction. I am still collecting resources so if you know of any or I've missed anything, let me know!

http://loutreleaven.wordpress.com/2010/10/06/what-wordcount-should-my-childrens-book-have/

Comments

• Another very useful rescource from you, thanks.
  • Not sure if this is relevant, but people always seem to be asking about the pictures for books for very young children - if they should draw them themselves.
  • That will be very useful for anyone writing a children's book.
  • definitely not, Jay. Publishers find their own artists. I had someone illustrate a book for me and it was rejected because they did not like the drawings. I never did that again. The books I have out were all illustrated by the publishers' artists.
  • This is really helpful, Lou - thanks.
  • Interesting and useful. Thanks, Lou.
    I agree about the illustrating. Publishers always find/have their own illustrators. I suppose if you happened to be a talented and amazing artist aswell as a talented and amazing picture book writer it might be different. Even then I think you would probably need to have the story/text accepted first and then mention your illustrations so that they would consider them along with other people's. There are some very successful and well-known children's picture books which are written and illustrated by the same person. When I've heard those authors/artists speak about their work, though, it seems they were either writer or illustrator first before becoming both - if that makes sense.
  • Good idea to mention about the pictures, Jay - I will do that. Apparently those who can both write and illustrate are like gold dust!
  • http://www.amazon.com/Little-Bears-Trousers-Hisseys-Friends/dp/0399233679/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286410053&sr=1-1#reader_0399233679

Hope this works.
  • edited October 2010
    The current Children's Laureate has always been both writer and illustrator of course. Polly Dunbar writes and illustrates her picture books too - but began by illustrating other people's books (including her mum's!). Her lovely book 'Penguin' is one of my favourites. (Her mother told me once that 'Penguin' was inspired by Polly's relationship with her father who had/has asperger's syndrome.)
  • Aw, I love those books! I used to get them out of the library for my son.
  • Yes, Little Bear is gorgeous!
  • very useful, thanks for that. gives me a better idea of where my word count needs to be :)
  • No problem - it's still a bit vague so far but I hope to refine it as time goes on!