Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Good prologue tips

edited October 2010 in - Writing Problems
Hi everyone i would like your advice or suggestions as what makes a good intro or prologue please, only I done some practice lately and now I am ready to commence the real thing, so I would appreciate some useful tips on the topic please.
Phil.

Comments

• Hmmm prologues are dangerous territory in my opinion, they tend to be about a completely different character or time, just to establish a bit of drama or back story because it can not be fit easily into the opening of the story. You either have an action packed prologue (setting up the monster of the book with an incidental character dying) in which case the actual first chapter may seem tame in comparison, OR you have a info laden prologue in order to fill in back story that also can not be jammed into the first chapter of your story. Either way it can be tricky to pull of a useful/relevant prologue.

It all depends on WHY you feel you have to have a prologue?

As for advice on openings in general? Hook the reader from the first line of the book, it has to pack enough punch that they say “Wow! I HAVE to read this!” but be careful of putting too much action/drama/tension in your first chapter unless you intend to raise the bar for the rest of the book.
  • edited October 2010
    I agree with everything BR has said there. I had a prologue but it never felt right for some of the reasons laid out. So I adapted it and made it my first chapter. It has been that for a while until last night I woke up with an epiphany. I've ripped it up now and it is a later chapter in the book. I've given the incident to one of the main characters, not a minor one and changed the time so it happens just before the main plot begins. In fact it has now become the inciting incident.

It has made the structure stronger, makes more sense, the plot is tighter and I've been able to cut some flashbacks and minor characters form the book. The best thing though is it doesn't niggle any more so I'm more confident of the plot and story.

So my suggestion is really think about why you need one and is there a way to have the information/plot development happen later in the book instead. It could make it stronger and remove any niggles you have about prologues.

Good luck.
  • we did have a discussion on here a while back about prologues, apparently some publishers don't like them. If you can go straight into the action, it might be better.
  • I originally had a prologue but it was suggested by a published writer to avoid prologues and make it a first chapter.
    Prologues are really tricky all round...
  • pbwpbw
    edited October 2010
    [quote=magic15]It all depends on WHY you feel you have to have a prologue?[/quote]

I'm glad Magic 15 raised this subject. My WIP is based on a particular concept. I had been having trouble conveying the metaphor in the story line but I lifted it out and wrote it as The Prologue and now it sets up the story and works a dream (hold that thought until the editor sees it...) but I shall fight for it because it really does work.
  • While we're holding that thought, nip down the book shop. Take a look at the books in the genre you're writing. How many have prologues?
  • Some in my genre do, but it is the minority.
    I'm sure some other genres don't do prologues at all.
  • My book started with a prologue that I later changed to chp one. If you have a prologue should you finish with an epilogue? If you do have one then my advice is keep it short, some go on for ever, not good!
  • Ok marc B. how long would you say the ideal prologue should be? by the way going to start work on the first chapter tonight tricky though esp. the characterization part going to take some thought any of you got that particular problem with your wrting characters as my mine I think are a bit shallow so I could use some advice on that field.
    Phil.
  • edited October 2010
    Phil, I would suggest you start writing this book before you worry about the length of the prologue or depth of characterisation. That's what first drafts are all about, you write the first draft, you get the story down in its entirety to see if it will fill that 80,000+ word plus goal, then you go back and work on the characterisation and the prologue, if you still think you need it after all that, and you revise and cut and revise again until it's right.

The best thing to do is put characters in the search box for this forum and see how many discussions we have had on the subject, when you do the first draft! I get the feeling you are putting it off, most of us are well on the way with our books by now, you are still at the question stage. That means you're putting off the actual work!

edit: look at the thread about showing deep emotion. Better than asking questions, search this forum. We've covered so much over the last five years.
  • Stieg Larsson has Prologues in the Girl with Dragon Tattoo (Millenium) Trilogy.