Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Is it really as easy to start again as it sounds??? :)

edited October 2010 in - Writing Problems
Hi all, have just come back on here after a loooooong break from the whole writing 'thing'. (By the way this isn't the username I had before - cue the dramatic suspenseful music!!)

I am wondering if it is going to be more of a masochistic punishment than the joy it used to be hehe. First step??? Get the PC out of mothballs!!

Anyone got a tip on the second??

Spud

Comments

• Get a cup of coffee. Welcome back whoever you are! Who are you?
  • hahaha - way ahead of you liz! - maybe I should have said 3rd??? :)
  • Step 3 - Open a document and quickly type in some words before that blank page starts to look scary.
  • Ok, have to guess... potatonik? Chipnik? Fritternick? Mashnik? Crispnik? Ummm... wafflenik?
  • Phot's Moll - do old docs count??

Liz! - I doubt anyone would remember as it was quite a while ago but, in the spirit of playtime, I'll give you a hint...I was here when Grandad (may he rest in peace) was still around. ;)
  • That's a long long break Spudnik. So welcome back.

Yes get out those old documents and I'm sure you'll realise you want to get back to the keyboard...
    Coffee and chocolate are essential supplies.:)
  • essential supplies, yes, and enthusiasm. The fact you are here says 'I want to get going again' so - sit, type, cogitate and get writing.

Oh, welcome back!!!!!
  • Thanks Carol - coffee (or at least Tea) and sugar supplies are ready. I think finding the disk with all the old stories saved on is going to have to be the next chore!!! Damn my 'safe place' - swear it keeps moving all by itself!!
  • Thanks Dorothyd :)
  • Hello Spudnik, how come you've been away so long?

Hmm, where exactly were you hiding and what were you doing?
  • Ooooer... I'm not an oldie enough. Stan and Dorothy might be though. Well, welcome anyway!
  • [quote=Spudnik]Phot's Moll - do old docs count??[/quote] Yes - as long as you start adding to one of them straight away.
  • two thousand and five I think Grandad was around so I'm guess YOU were here then too Spudnik? Have you not been around since?
  • Is it Mad Doc Dribble?
  • Thanks Liz! - I didn't think I recognised you but the memory is a bit foggy sometimes :)

Yes I have had many conversations with Stan and Dorothy, and Jay and....various others from the list hehe I decided not to use the old name deliberately - kind of a fresh start thing.

Dora - been in a bit of a state of flux - lots of changes went on, end of a long-term relationship, several changes of address and a change of job (makes me tired just thinking about it) so I didn't really have the patience or time (or enthusiasm) for the writing game. Now everything is starting to settle down finally my brain has been wondering back to it and I've been thinking - what the hell...can't do any worse than last time :)
  • No not mad doc - I left about a year or so after dear old G departed - its been around 3 years since I decided to sack it all.
  • Ooer Spuddles. What a carry on.
  • You're back, that's all that matters - unless you're the TBer who kept whispering naughty thoughts, of course.
  • Its been fun!! You know what they say...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger - so right about now I should be able to bench press a Volvo!! hehe :)
  • Oh BB I missed that one. Whoever is doing that - stop it at once,

... and put my name in the whisper to box instead. :)
  • hahaha no BB definitely wasn't me...sounds like an intriguing story though!!
  • I arrived (the first time) just after Grandad's time, but my memory isn't that good. I remember those who are still regulars here that were there then (including DorothyD, Carol, Stan, Dora, Jan), and there was also Amboline, Hushpuppy, Hippo, Janey (I think), Flick and Moira. Are you any if those? :rolleyes:

Whoever you are...welcome back! :D
  • Thanks Nena. Probably shouldn't have said I'd been on here before hehe but never been able to resist a giggle. :)
  • Welcome back, Spudnik! I came back to writing a few years ago after a longish break and things finally started to go better - hope it's the same for you!
  • Thanks Rosalie - am hoping so too. Although I think I have already spent far too much time trying to put an icon on here!!!! :)
  • I have no idea who you are or were, Spud - but why not have a go at the 100 word competition on the Readers Digest site? It might rev your writing up!

I'll bounce the thread so you can see the link.
  • Cheers jenny - I'll have a look!
  • There seems to be a problem re copyright ... !!
  • For what Jenny?
  • Have a look at the comments by Carol and Dorothy on the Readers Digest thread.
  • Never mind - just realised what you were talking about!! :)
  • People often have no idea what I'm talking about!!
  • Hello Spudnik, welcome back! Was your former name Crazy Horse?
  • Welcome back we may have chatted before as I've been a member for five years now.
    Best of luck with your writing whoever you are!
    Was your name Rumplestiltskin? :)
  • Spudnik - Can you give us any more clues - or would you rather not?!!
  • Hi all

Apologies for the delay - try as I might to avoid it I HAD to go back to work today :( :(

Jenny - I am fine revealing my former 'self'. I used to be on here as (drumroll please) Lixxy.

Don't all rush to say you remember me!!! :) :) (Although I'd be surprised if anyone did hehe)
  • I knew it. :)

I remember yoooooo :)

Welcome back
  • Hallo again, Lixxy!
  • Course ya did Dora!!!!! :)

Hi again!!!
  • I did, well what I actually did was scroll back to 2005 and see who was around, and your name kinda crossed my thoughts. I thnk I last remember seeing you in an edition of Writers News, having started up a writing group.
  • I remember you welcome back.
  • yes, yes yes and yes, remember you!
  • Hey Lixxy, of course we remember you!
    Welcome back...you can never really leave TB, mwuahahahaha!
  • I know - it's like a drug.

Yeah was involved in a writing group for a while but it kinda fell flat like a flan in a cupboard hehe
  • Welcome back, Spudnik, of course it is worth while coming back. In fact I think you will find now you are firing on all cylinders, I have found since my fallow period as such and recovering from the worst of what I had in August, ideas are flying all over the place. When I started my course in Sudbury in September, my brains felt like butter, probably due to the antibiotics, now I feel raring to go. In fact I have just finished a rough out story for a competition entry, I am also planning to enter the WAYB competition so yes, switch on that computer and get going. I tell you what, how flush do you feel because you can join Ideas for Writers for twenty nine pounds, look at the website and the address, its a lifetime membership, well worth it in my opinion, also get E book on writing which you can download when you join, you have to spend a little to invest as the saying goes. Go on and have fun!