Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Where to buy cheap but good quality envelopes?

edited October 2010 in Off-topic
Hi, I am looking for a cheap source of self-seal A4 and C5/A5 envelopes for my submissions. I want them to be of a good enough quality so that I look professional but I don't want to spend a fortune. Does anyone know of any good online retailers, preferably with low cost/free delivery? I am happy to buy in bulk as it's not as if they're going to become obselete!

Thanks.

Comments

• I sue Viking for work supplies these days, better than Staples.
  • You sue them or use them?! ;-)

I did read an older post of yours where you said that short story submissions shouldn't be sent in A4 envelopes. Please can you give me some advice on the best size envelope to send them out in and what size SAE to enclose. I was hoping to economise on postage by having smaller envelopes for returns.

Thanks.
  • I get mine from a boot sale I go to that has a stationery stall. They are the same as you get in WH Smiths etc but much cheaper. Also get my printing paper there.
  • Fingers are not working today. blame it on having been to Tescos at an early hour - and waiting on ex to arrive ...

OK. I don't like receiving MS in an A4 envelope as the postmen mangle them. I use C5s for my submissions and the same size to come back. If the MS is not thick, they will go as second class ordinary, where the A4s are second class large and cost much more. Provided you stay under 100 grams, you can get away with second class ordinary no problem. You need to send the same size return as going out, sorry to say.
  • But you must check the thickness of your envelope if you use C5 girl friday, if it doesn't go through the presized slot easily the post office will not accept it at the lower postage rate, and it will not get to your destination as they will demand extra postage plus £1 from the other end.

I prefer to send stuff in A4 and I have never received mangled post,so it may be machinery at your sorting office Dorothy, that is causing damage.
    On the one occasion I did get something mangled it was a C5 size envelope and the PO put it in a pre printed (clear plastic envelope) sleeve explaining it had been damaged during processing.
  • I always use A4 because an editor once told me that she doesn't like to receive manuscripts that have been folded. Has anyone else come across this?
  • edited October 2010
    No, not the machinery my end, Carol, same thing happened to my mail when I was on the mainland. I collect the mail from the Sorting Office, I see the bundles of mail with their elastic bands round them, I see how the bands cut into the envelopes, I see the ragged edges ... and I have had some submitted to me like that. Unless an editor specifically says no folding, I would not do it. A4 folded is perfectly adequate. As an editor of the Circle of Light magazine that is how my submissions arrive too. I prefer it that way. And, why give the Royal Mail more money? The difference is quite considerable.

Montholon, I have to say that in 30 years no editor has ever said that to me anyway.

C5 can be mangled as easily as an A4, but less chance. I have to say, though, I sometimes get those plastic envelopes, even for small letters with an order in. It happens.

Seriously, why use A4? they cost more to buy, they cost more to send, why do it? Stirling already has a thread on the cost of submitting work. I'm talking from a career of over 200 articles accepted, 17 novels, 60+ short stories, no one has asked for A4 for articles, no one has commented on the layout, no one has rejected anything for any of those reasons. Save money. Think carbon footprint. Don't give money away when you don't have to. An article will easily go in a C5 and a C5 to bring it back means more chance of your being able to send it out again without reprinting.

I think, though, we get a mind set about these things. We have always done it a certain way, regardless of additional costs, so we go on doing it. But ... apart from my extensive writing career, I was married to a postman ... I know how the mail is treated.
  • I don't like the fold in the middle either, so can see where Montholon's editor was coming from.
    I guess it just comes down to whether you are happy with folding or not...
  • It's never bothered me. As I said, all submitted items for my magazine come folded, sometimes into four even. If it's right, it doens't matter.

Not really being happy with folding,but happy with being a bit mean with money and not risking the damage I spoke of earlier.
  • When I send a poem to a comp I hate folding it and making a crease in the middle of it.
  • edited October 2010
    Kateyanne, it's only words, it doesn't matter!
    A subscriber sent me 30 sheets crammed with poems, all folded. It doesn't matter, honestly!
  • I know but I hate doing it :)