Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

War and Chafing

edited October 2010 in - Writing Tales
Okay, so currently i'm in Afghanistan and hoping whilst i'm here the situations i find myself in will inspire me. Needless to say that writing is becoming a little difficult, as Mr Taliban has other ideas, also, and please don't think i'm being rude, but the sand gets in the most awkward of places that chafing has become somewhat unbearable...walking like i have a tree trunk between my legs is neither flattering or intimidating to the enemy. But, only the other morning, whilst patrolling amongst the sandy valleys of the Helmand province, did a number of bullets spit into the ground just a couple of metres in front of me. Usually a soldiers' first instinct is to dive for cover, which to my surprise i didn't. I was not rooted to the spot because i was scared, i'm a British soldier...enough said! But at that precise moment the bullets hit the ground an idea for a story popped into my head. Everything else was a blur, our fighting skills did their job and the firefight was won, but this story nagged away at me whilst tabbing back to the FOB (forward operating base) enough to forget Mr Taliban or my chafed nether regions. I'm still writing the story and that was two months ago, however it's picking up pace and i'm overly chuffed with the first draft. Strangely though the story has nothing to do with fighting, war or bullets hitting anything, it's about time - travel.

Comments